I think i might be in a spot

bt03

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Over the rainbow...
I was told at the feed store where I got her that she was a Rouen... Today she flew 5 feet today because she didn't want me to come to close today. Did they lie to me or is she just a really light Rouen that is an exception to the no fly rule?

81328_dscf2118.jpg

The Rouen drakes I had last year could fly a a pretty good distance.

Yours looks exactly like the Rouen's I have this year.

Thank you both for the reply! I was a little scared that I would have to catch her and clip her wings constantly. She has been getting progressively better about getting off the ground and is smaller than my Khaki Campbell who is about 8 weeks old and is just losing the last of his baby fuzz.

Looks Rouen-ish to me. I've seen some big ducks fly sometimes. 5 feet sounds reasonable. I've even seen runners and jumbo pekins fly higher and farther than that when they're scared.

How old. If she's this year's baby, she is probably still light in weight, they pack it on after about 6 months -- that will make a difference. But, they're not always totally flightless, and there are also different strains of Rouen, some are a lot heavier than others -- the meat production strains will be the heaviest, and therefore the least likely to be able to fly. Having come from a feed store, hard to say what they ordered from the hatchery.

You can always clip the wings at least this time, and then see if she packs on some weight.

Darlene- The rooster that scared her is going in to freezer camp today because he has had as many chances as I'm willing to give. He is the head rooster but is over aggressive with the hens and he has been trying to mount Olivia and scared her enough to teach her to fly. I don't think he realized I only need one rooster to get fertile eggs
wink.png

Den- I can't remember her exact age but I know she is coming up on 20 weeks because my bantam chicks were born a couple weeks before I got her and they just started laying this week. She used to live in the front yard till the bobcat came so they had to move in with the chickens for a bit (still bobcat hunting) but I watched her fly up to the roof and I went to the front to get the ladder to get her down and she was happily walking around the front yard.

She is definitely a rouen. Her body shape and the lines on her face say it all. =]

I've had some really light rouens that could fly just as well as my mallards. She /should/ get heavier with age.
Most of the time, only the real SQ rouens get absolutely huge.

Back
Top Bottom