I think i might have mights :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer, Jun 20, 2009.

1. hello everyone, I was cleaning out my bantam coop before and when i was cleaning it i lifted up a paver that my waterer site on to keep it of the ground, when i lifted it, it was wet underneath and these tiny little red bugs came scurrying out! ive never seen a might before so i dont know if they are, i checked my birds' vents and everything seems good but i dont know what they are, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF WERE I CAN GET FOOD GRADE DE IN NEW JERSEY????? ive been looking but i cant seem to find any. thanks everyone.

2. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Songster

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Use Sevin...it kills mites.

3. whats seven? where can i get it? do you think i have mites or just somekind of bug? Thanks

4. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Sevin dust,You can find it at the local hardware store,walmart ANYWHERE !

Sprinkle alittle dust on the chickens and put some,where they take dust baths.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  5. hello, i was just re-searching and it looks like they are clover mights, they do not feed or harm pets or animals, they feed on clovers and grass "phew" (wipes sweat from forhead) im going to go and make sure, i still want to get rid of them though. THanks

6. hey i just did a search for seven dust and theres seven 5% and seven 2%, wich one should i get?Thanks for the help

7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Im not really sure LOL i didnt know it came in %'s now

But make sure its the powdered kind and not crumbles.

8. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Songster

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    when you use seven dust can you still eat the eggs???

9. chickletranch

chickletranch Songster

Jun 6, 2009
  10. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Most posts seem to mention the sevin 5% dust, have also seen no problem on the eggs to 10 days. Haven't needed it yet so can't offer an opinion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: