i think i need a dog--what breed is best?

I have one for you, are you coming to MN any time soon???
big_smile.png

I have lab puppies for sale right now and they're around my chickens all the time. They actually let the chickens steal dog food from their bowl!

Their mother is around the chickens all the time and has never chased them except when she was in the protect-my-puppies mode and then it was just to shoo them away from her litter.

P1010094.jpg

Last edited:
great pyr are excellent guard dogs,Tonto my 6 month old kept a fox out of the yard just a few days ago!!!! he roams with the chickens and has never made an attempt to hurt them. awesome dogs!!!

A dog is more than just a protector of your property. There is alot of responsibility in owing a dog. Any dog you get will probably have to be trained a bit to leave the chickens alone.

Getting a dog just to protect the chickens isnt a right reason to get a dog. The dog will need to be trained to not attack the chickens, and what happens when it does attack the chickens, most likely it will (at least once), are you going to give the dog up.

I would reconsider getting a dog just for that purpose.​

Quote:
Getting a dog just to protect the chickens isnt a right reason to get a dog. The dog will need to be trained to not attack the chickens, and what happens when it does attack the chickens, most likely it will (at least once), are you going to give the dog up.

I would reconsider getting a dog just for that purpose.

I agree

My english shepherds are out with the chickens all the time unsupervised. That said..its not so much the breed of dog you get but the time that you spend teaching them that the chickens are YOURS and to be protected NOT harrassed.

I will never have another heeler thats for sure. Our hay guy gave my hubby a heeler. Great dog. Took him with him on the job site..no one messed with his tools when they werent there thats for sure! Well trained dog..all the guys on the crew liked him.

Grew up around livestock. But always a glint in his eye with my goats. I told him 100 times..touch my goats and your dead. He never bothered them..but would look at them with major prey stare.

When we were at the horse pasture, which was 5 miles from our house he was always loose but with us. Then one day i had to run to the house to get something. Put the heeler in the dog kennel where we used to kennel our border collie. Came back 15 MINUTES later and he had made a hole in the kennel wire and killed every one of my goats. He had to have been in a totally slaughtering frenzy. Went for the throat of every one of them.

Dog was dead before the goats were cold. Told the hay guy..oh yeah he says.. forgot to tell you he kills goats so dont leave him alone with them. Oh yeah..well not anymore he doesnt!

I couldn't begin to count how many people have had heelers out here that have ended up being kicked and killed by horses, had to be put down because of injuries cause by chasing horses, shot for harassing livestock, or biting people. There is no such thing as a particular breed suitable for guarding chickens (obviously), and LGDs are bred for larger, more robust livestock that can take treatment that would kill a bird.

Back
Top Bottom