I think i need to give away my roo...

Chickensfan

Songster
Jun 26, 2016
California!
hello.
i am writing because i have a mean roo named Pine, who is only mean because he doesn't have enough hens, and i have heard that if i leave him with my flock, (and the main roo he pecks on,) Palmer, the one he pecks on, will die. i want a bachelor coop for him, but when he free ranges, he will see the other chickens. and i would feel wrong if i ever didn't let a chicken free range. i think i am going to have to sell him or give him away. i don't know how to embrace the fact though....i can't bear to see him go. any ideas on how to make it easy-er for me to sell/give him away?
hit.gif

thanks,
~Marie

This is the tough part about chicken keeping. Realizing that we can't always keep every bird that comes along. My situation is different than yours. We process our extra roosters. I still feel a little bad, because they are chickens that I have raised from chicks. But over the years I have been able to accept that this is what's best for my flock. I have learned not to get too attached - that makes it easier, too. But like I said, this is my situation. (I'm in no way suggesting you put your rooster in the freezer. I know this is not an option for you.) What I was trying to get at is that as hard as it may be, this is one of those things that you tell yourself you have to do, realizing it's probably best for your flock, and move on. Let Pine go and enjoy the peaceful flock that you'll have left.

I too make decisions based on the well fare of the flock, I have had a flock for the past 9 years, but the birds in the flock come and go.

I enjoy the ones I have. I came to this rather accidentally, and maybe it will help you. In the beginning chicken math got the best of me, it is a common problem at first. And then I had a predator find a weak spot in my set up. Which was very hard that next morning when I went down to the carnage. We cleaned it up, I felt bad, and my sons modified my set up into fort KNOX.

A day or two later, I made a big discovery, in spite of the predator a few days past, the remaining flock, the reduced in size flock was much calmer, much more peaceful with each other. I took a head count, and I knew that was the number of birds that fit in that set up and BE HAPPY.

It is not fun to keep an unhappy flock. Really it will make you sick after a while to see picked on birds, damaged birds and to be constantly trying to get them all to get along. You cannot wish them nice. You must manage the flock for the set up that you have. Art says this is when the romance of keeping chickens meets reality.

Mrs K

This is the tough part about chicken keeping. Realizing that we can't always keep every bird that comes along. My situation is different than yours. We process our extra roosters. I still feel a little bad, because they are chickens that I have raised from chicks. But over the years I have been able to accept that this is what's best for my flock. I have learned not to get too attached - that makes it easier, too. But like I said, this is my situation. (I'm in no way suggesting you put your rooster in the freezer. I know this is not an option for you.) What I was trying to get at is that as hard as it may be, this is one of those things that you tell yourself you have to do, realizing it's probably best for your flock, and move on. Let Pine go and enjoy the peaceful flock that you'll have left.

I too make decisions based on the well fare of the flock, I have had a flock for the past 9 years, but the birds in the flock come and go.

I enjoy the ones I have. I came to this rather accidentally, and maybe it will help you. In the beginning chicken math got the best of me, it is a common problem at first. And then I had a predator find a weak spot in my set up. Which was very hard that next morning when I went down to the carnage. We cleaned it up, I felt bad, and my sons modified my set up into fort KNOX.

A day or two later, I made a big discovery, in spite of the predator a few days past, the remaining flock, the reduced in size flock was much calmer, much more peaceful with each other. I took a head count, and I knew that was the number of birds that fit in that set up and BE HAPPY.

It is not fun to keep an unhappy flock. Really it will make you sick after a while to see picked on birds, damaged birds and to be constantly trying to get them all to get along. You cannot wish them nice. You must manage the flock for the set up that you have. Art says this is when the romance of keeping chickens meets reality.

Mrs K

I agree with Bobbi-j
thank you so much. it will not be easy, but yes, it is the best for the flock.

If you must give away/ sell a mean rooster, please disclose the rooster's temperament to the prospective owner.

i think something just snapped in me. all the sudden it is so much easy-er for me to give him away.
Here's how I look at it. I enjoy keeping chickens. Yes, I do use them to provide eggs and meat, but where I live I could buy farm fresh eggs (and probably be money ahead), and either raise or buy the Cornish x franken-chickens for meat. If I have a chicken that's taking away that enjoyment and causing me or the rest of the flock undue stress, I don't really feel too bad about removing it from my flock. I'm glad you're feeling better about it. I agree with Poodlechicks, though - you need to be honest about why you're giving him away. Another piece of unasked for advice - when you do give him away, don't ask too many questions. Once that bird leaves your place, it's no longer yours. Let it go and focus on the chickens you do have.

Like bobbi-j, I process my extra cockerels. I know I gave them a great life while they were here, and a very quick, humane death at the end. If I give them away, you really don't know how they will be treated, or in reality, how they will be processed. (Many people pick up free roosters for food.)

Totally agree it's not the way that works for everyone, and it took me a long time to get to where I am emotionally about the whole thing.

Good luck on finding him a good home - I can rarely ever give one away.

Back
Top Bottom