I Think I Saw

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChooksinChoppers, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    a hummingbird moth today! [​IMG] The sun was just setting so still a little light outside and it was hovering right over my lavender flowered bushes [​IMG] kinda looked like this one but more brown .....first one I have even seen! amazing! even the pizza guy saw it [​IMG] Don't know why I was so thrilled to see one....but yeah!

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] RIght now all we have are the regular joe food moths that take up residence in the Kitchen [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Those are sooo cool! I saw one of them once....only once.. [​IMG]

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Years ago when I lived in a different town I had a koi pond and used to see them all the time. Back then I had never heard of them, and I tried to explain to people that I kept seeing these bizarre "hummingbird moths". I thought I had made up the name, and it was funny, because no one had any idea what I was talking about. This was before google was at my fingertips, so it was years before I discovered that they do exist, and that I had pegged the name perfectly. Aptly named I'd say, because they really do appear to be a cross between both.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Neato!

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    You just answered my question! I saw one of those a couple weeks ago and couldn't figure what the heck it was! It keeps coming back because the Cannas are in full bloom.

7. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I read somewhere that the young are tomato hornworm. [​IMG]

8. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Those come from the green horned tomato worm, it's true. The moths lay their eggs on your tomato (and sometimes pepper plants) and they hatch into those voracious worms that destroy so much in so short of a time (man, can they eat!). When they get big enough, they drop off and burrow into the ground to emerge later as hummingbird moths. The moths are neat, but I don't like them simply because I know what their young are and do. This was an especially bad year for them here for some reason. I pulled over 20 off four tomato plants which is more than I pulled off over 30 tomato plants last year!

9. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    ...and here I was hoping you saw a sasqwatch. [​IMG] what? [​IMG]

10. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I was doing some work on a small step right outside of our house and saw one yesterday as well. They are neat little creatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by