I think I want a goat!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dun chick, Sep 2, 2009.

1. dun chick

dun chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay been looking for goats milk in my area, I really can't find any. Talked with dh last night First all he said "are you nuts"? I think I can warm him over eventually. He responded the same way to chickens 4 years ago and now he actually likes them. What goats are best for dairy, most quiet and gentle?" I woudl prefer to buy two does. IS it possible to find them after they kidded or would i be better off buying some that are preggo? My plan is for spring.

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Northern New York
    I raise Saanens and love them . They are my favorite and also give the most pounds of milk of any of the dairy breeds.

You need 2 goats because 1 will drive you nuts .

As for age ect thats up to you . Pregnant will be most $$ , then in milk , kids will be the cheapest .

Make sure they are from good lines . CAE & CL free.

Patty

3. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    I'm also thinking about getting 2 goats this spring!! We have thick brush that needs cleared and we plan to use the goats for that... but I secretly want some milk, too!
    My DH came around eventually, and now he can't wait for spring, either! Keep talking about the benefits... You'll have him convinced in no time! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by