I think I'm doing something wrong

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
I am a new chicken mama and bought the galvanized water heater and the double walled 2 gallon water fount. No directions came with it. I turn the water reservoir upside down with both pieces together, fill it about 3/4 full of fresh water, and the only way I can figure out to actually give the water to my peeps is to hold the shallow tray on the open part and flip it as fast as I can, losing about half the water, then losing more when I try to balance it perfectly level so I get some water to them. Am I doing something wrong or did I get a defective waterer?
barnie.gif

On mine, the top comes off. That is why it is called double walled. There is a handle on top, yes? Hold the bottom down with your feet and pull the top off with the handle.

I have an old one, and it gets hard to do so I have hubby pull the top off for me.

Cheri

On mine there is a little metal prong on the bottom, that's important. If you ignore it you won't have a vacuum seal. There is an upside down L shaped channel where the prong goes, you slide it through the channel to lock and unlock it.

Once the top is slid off, look inside, down at the bottom on the side you should see a rubber circle. On the outside is a copper thingy. Push on the thingy outside and the rubber circle lifts up and lets water through. If you don't see anything like that, my waterer is totally different from yours and my explanation probably won't help at all.
tongue.png
If we do have the same type, here's how you fill it:

Take the top off and set it aside. Fill the bottom part of the waterer, the part with the trough the drink out of, fill up that part, not the top. The rubber circle will keep water from flowing out into the trough. When it's full, slide the top on and lock it by sliding the prong through the channel.

That's it! Hope it works for you. I personally prefer the plastic type.
wink.png

If it's like mine, there's a pin "lock" that requires you to turn the top a little bit before you can pull it off. Then you just take it off and fill the bottom. Once full, put the top back on, find the pin and get it into the slot, twist a little and it'll be closed and locked. It doesn't have to be turned upside down at all.

My plastic waters have trays that separate from the water container, but after they've been locked in place it isn't that difficult to flip the unit over without losing too much water.

Does yours have a brand name label? Maybe if I could find it on the Internet I could figure out if yours is anything like mine or not -- and if not, maybe help you figure out how to make it work better.

thank you for all your help! I figured out the problem! From all the explanations I finally
clap.gif
figured out that the inside part is supposed to fit into the bottom part and then fill it from the top and put on the outside part (is there an echo in here?
lau.gif
) It is a little giant that I got on ebay and when it came it was dented in a couple of places so I think I just answered my own question and I think I have a defective one!
rant.gif
but I've had it for a while and now it's probably too late to return it but I will let the person I bought it from that is is dented and hopefully they will do the right thing by me.
gig.gif
(yah, right!)

Back
Top Bottom