I think I'm right and he's wrong!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My egg count has been dropping steadily. For several months I averaged 11 eggs daily. One day a week the count would drop to like 8. About a month ago now the daily count dropped to nine, now it's six.
Yesterday was the very first time that I didn't go out and let them out of the coop as soon as I got up. It was raining so hard that I left them in the coop until after 2 PM. My egg count climbed back up to nine.
I've been insistent that they are laying eggs somewhere other than the coop. My SO says no. He says I can't expect them to keep laying eggs like gangbusters and that the egg count is bound to go down sometimes.
I have searched this farm over, checked all their favorite hangouts and can't find any hidden eggs, but I still believe they are hiding them somewhere.
What say you?

Peer pressure.

You collect the eggs too soon, you remove the pressure from the ones who haven't laid.

You leave the eggs in there for a while and the sandbaggers start feeling the heat.

(no, I got nothin')

I found an outside nest last week with 29 eggs in it. Granted most of them were from my rescues who were never used to nest boxes but even my original 8 girls for some reason have been making outside nests for the last few weeks.

I say keep looking.
smile.png

I have had the same problem, went from 20 to 9. I know I have an egg eater but thats only about one a day. Mine have an outside run that I occasionally open to let them free range. I noticed today that our only Buttercup hen is missing totally. I walked out property with no obvious signs. Hmmmmmmm

If I let mine free range everyday the hide in the woods to lay, if I alternate locked in coop and run, with free range every other day the lay in the coop. Not sure why. Mine usually lay in the woods, and its took forever to find where they were hiding to lay.

Quote:
That's what I keep waiting for...a hen to turn up missing.
I'm 99% certain I don't have an egg eater. I collect the eggs regulary, during the day the hens only visit the coop long enough to lay and I've seen absolutely no evidence on anyones face.
Thought about egg predators too, but five eggs a day? and I'm in and out of the coop all day long.
I'm gonna catch the little boogers hiding them or their free range schedule is going to be cut way back.
I wonder if they are laying outside somewhere if their nest(s) has been discovered by a coon or coyote or something and the eggs are being eaten as fast as the hens can lay them?
hu.gif

Quote:
That's certainly a possibility. Rats or snakes or some such could also be the culprit.

Im with you, I'd keep them in til later in the day and see what happens.

They won't like it though, not if they're like mine! I start hearing complaints at daybreak, keep them in til 8 or 9 just to avoid the early AM fox and such, and I hear about it!

Let us know if you figure it out.

I have 14 laying hens. I fluctuate between 5 on the low end and 11 on the high end. Most days I get about 8. I figure I just have some lazy hens. I know of at least 4 of them that only lay every 2nd or 3rd day.

Well, I have the same problem, and finally found several nests in the woods. I'm not sure how to stop this, except to keep them cooped longer in the morning. I hate doing that on these nice days. But 15 eggs in one nest last week..........

Back
Top Bottom