I think it’s a rooster

Ajsavage

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2021
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I got all pullets on March 21 at Tractor Supply. Well this past Tuesday (6/1) I think I heard this one crow. Well a partial crow. Then this morning 6/3 I was going to let them out into their run and I heard a rooster. Am I crazy thinking this is the culprit? My neighbor has chickens and has for years and she was over and said it looks a lot like one of her hens. She was also saying there is no signs of talons starting to grow. I know in my area I can have a rooster but I’d prefer not to as we have a neighbor who’s a anonymous caller to animal control about her rooster and donkeys and all of our dogs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I can rehome him if I need to just want to be sure before I do. Thank you

Attachments

• 3F555288-6FC1-43F8-A541-1CD28E526C7C.jpeg
    3F555288-6FC1-43F8-A541-1CD28E526C7C.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I got all pullets on March 21 at Tractor Supply. Well this past Tuesday (6/1) I think I heard this one crow. Well a partial crow. Then this morning 6/3 I was going to let them out into their run and I heard a rooster. Am I crazy thinking this is the culprit? My neighbor has chickens and has for years and she was over and said it looks a lot like one of her hens. She was also saying there is no signs of talons starting to grow. I know in my area I can have a rooster but I’d prefer not to as we have a neighbor who’s a anonymous caller to animal control about her rooster and donkeys and all of our dogs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I can rehome him if I need to just want to be sure before I do. Thank you
Yes, you are right. This is a cockerel. 😊

If you can get a full body side view of the bird that would help. Both male and females have spurs. I assume that is what your neighbor is calling talons.

Yep, it sure looks like a cockerel.

If you can have a rooster, keep him. Don't cave to the Karen, And is the one in the background dead?

Well as the week rolled on I found I not only have that rooster but I have another. This other one I’m calling Kevin. He’s started getting red on his wing feathers and started crowing this week. 🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• 39C69B1C-9384-4AB0-8F99-AFDD4E703637.png
    39C69B1C-9384-4AB0-8F99-AFDD4E703637.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • F99E60B1-685A-472B-9F13-C11EDC98822A.png
    F99E60B1-685A-472B-9F13-C11EDC98822A.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom