I think it likes me...

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I love my little chicks. I found out today, River, my avatar and BTW Japanese loves me back!

I went to clean the food and get fresh food/water and she hoped up on me. I thought she was just trying to get out, but I put her down and she chirped, jumped back on and sat there...

Perplexed I just sat her on my shoulder and slowly walked to the food bin (a whole 2 steps from the brooder) She got under my hair and sat there. She is so light and was still. I thought she jumped off and i didn't notice. I checked in my mirror and she just slept there. I sat at the computer for about 2 hours and she didn't budge. I put her back in the brooder to keep her from giving me a present. (it's hot in our house so i wasn't worried about the temp

How cute. If you've ever had a broody hen raise chicks you'll notice that they aren't as concerned about the temps like we silly humans are either. They take those little chicks right outside and they play and when they get cold they run under mom for a few minutes and then run right back out. I was quite surprised and wonder why I fuss so much about my chicks. Mom doesn't fuss about them even when she's sitting on them nearly as much as I do.
gig.gif

Now that is a true little buddy. That one will make an extraordinary pet if you let her. They can be just as good (if not better) than any pet bird people buy from pet stores, I think! Give her a hug from me!

Both my Japanese are shoulder babies. My sebrights trust me, but like to just sit on my hand in the brooder, not liking being off the ground yet. The silver duckwind OEG is just a butt. I am trying to find a home for it.

Aww! We've had a few chicks like that. When Olympia was a chick she would sit on my head as I went around doing my chores (later I would take her from walks in the neighborhood and she would try to sit on my head again... except a full grown Australorp has a hard time staying on heads.) Then Fatima just loved sticking her head through the crook of your elbow. She still does that sometimes.

One time I had some chicks out on the lawn with me on a blanket or something. We live near an airbase, and when a jet flew over, they all ran to me like I was their mother hen!

Back
Top Bottom