I think it's time to turn off the heat.

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
My chicks are 5-6 weeks old. They can come and go from the brooder and are spending most of their day out and about in the coop (40-50 degrees) and venturing outside more and more (30-40 degrees), but still sleeping under the brooder plate at night. I think they're just sleeping there out of habit. Can I turn the heat off?

I have a small roost they can use until they learn to share with the big chickens, but the brooder is occupying the space where I typically put that roost. I was thinking about turning the plate off one evening, and then removing it all together the next day and replacing it with their roost, and then if neccesary, encouraging them to use the new roost when they go to sleep. Is that okay or should I just wait until they stop using the brooder plate on their own.

Attachments

• 2023.01.25 01 chickens 04 all 5 chicks roosting.jpg
    2023.01.25 01 chickens 04 all 5 chicks roosting.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 45
How did it go? You didn't mention what nighttime temps are or I missed it. Curious because I always have this dilemma around the same age and find it's different every time (some take longer than others.) The majority of the time they've already rejected the heating pad so it's interesting that yours were still going under it.

How did it go? You didn't mention what nighttime temps are or I missed it. Curious because I always have this dilemma around the same age and find it's different every time (some take longer than others.) The majority of the time they've already rejected the heating pad so it's interesting that yours were still going under it.
It went well. I think it was more of a habit they needed to break than actual heat. The first day I turned off the brooder during the day. They still slept under the brooder that night. Then I removed the brooder completely the next day. They still slept in the same corner of the crate where the brooder plate had been. The next day I removed the crate and they slept on the roost and they'be been fine ever since! At the time the coop was upper 40s to low 50s over night.

Back
Top Bottom