1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think i've identified the roo!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amaliayosa, Mar 29, 2008.

1. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok. tell me if this lines up. This one chick (buff orp) is slightly larger than the others, larger beak, and comb, less feathers than the others including wing and tail feathers. Could this be the roo? Any other signs to look for?
    Thanks
    Amy

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    They are usually friendlier and more brave.even real young you can see it. Mine tried to crow @ 4 weeks old so it was easy. But I have a 3 week old chick that pecks @ my hand when I reach in the cage and does it as if "GET OUT" LOL

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  3. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I used to try to guess too, especially watching for comb size. Just wait till he starts trying to crow!! LOL! It's the silliest, funniest sound you've ever heard a chicken make!! [​IMG] Our Buff Orpington Rooster was our favorite hands down. He was a great leader and protector of his flock, but he was good and gentle with us, which is a prized quality when you let them free range with toddlers about.

4. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Angie, when do they usually start to crow? I cant wait!
    BTW I am on my way over to your blog now, I just love it!
    Also how are your chicks doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by