1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my chicken ate a plastic gecko

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eggcetra_farms, Jun 30, 2007.

1. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Any chance that if my chicken ate a platic gecko it could pass it, or do you think it would kill her? I always tell my kids not to take their toys outside... This is about the same size as a real gecko, and is a rubbery-stretchy-plastic material. I tried to get it from her, but she runs so fast and then she didn't have it. I didn't see it on the ground anywhere, so I'm assuming she ate it. God, I hope she's going to be ok. Please let me know if you've had experience with this type of thing. Thanks.

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I honestly dont know what to tell you as you did not give the size or such... if you are really worried then go to the vet because yes I can imagine some instances where if was not able to be passed or ground up by the gizzard so it could be passed that it could possibly cause problems....

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk has one of those stretchy lizards as her favourite toy...She never tries to eat it, just beats the stuffing out of it on the ground.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I would think that you could feel her crop and tell if it was in there. Chickens are pretty smart, I would think she would realize it was not food and drop it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by