I think my chicken died today from pecking at a Toad.

Baygirl

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Has anyone had a problem with your chicken dying from being around a toad?

My favorite hen died today. I am so sad and the only thing I saw near her in my barn was a toad. I read where they can be kind of toxic but I just don't know how she died. I nursed this one back from near death 5 months ago and now she is has died from who knows what.

Thanks for anyone's help, Martha

Has anyone had a problem with your chicken dying from being around a toad?

My favorite hen died today. I am so sad and the only thing I saw near her in my barn was a toad. I read where they can be kind of toxic but I just don't know how she died. I nursed this one back from near death 5 months ago and now she is has died from who knows what.

Thanks for anyone's help, Martha

Oh, I am sorry!
sad.png
What state do you live in? My chickens ate toads all the time, no body died from it but I live in MI.

I live in Alabama. She was fine this morning and I was only gone for an hour when I found her. As I said the only thing she could have gotten in contact with was a toad.

I live in Alabama. She was fine this morning and I was only gone for an hour when I found her. As I said the only thing she could have gotten in contact with was a toad.

How old was she? There are many things that could have killed her. Unless you have serious poisonous toads where you live, I would rule it out. Can you send it for necropsy? Had she stopped laying?
hmm.png

She was just a little over a year. About 4 months ago she had a soft tissue injury and I nursed her back to health. She was separated from the flock but was out with them everyday in a separate area so they couldn't beat her up. I had her in a crate at night. I had allowed her to walk around the inside of the barn on bad rainy days. I had made sure that there was nothing that she could get into.
Just don't really understand it but I know that they are fragile.

Back
Top Bottom