i think my chicken is a dwarf...will she be ok when she lays an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wnthunting, Aug 12, 2011.

1. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    Hello..i just started raising chickens this year... i have 11 rir. Hens which i hatched myself...one hen is litteraly half the size of the rest...shes been that way since day one. She is our favorite and her name is peanut . I think she might be a dwarf. The hens are 15 weeks old and a few started laying already. I am curious if my little chicken will be able to handle laying an egg? Will her eggs just be smaller? Or will she lay a large egg like the other hens? We re worried that she is to small to lay a large egg. Please tell me what you think.[​IMG] this is peanut...15 weeks old

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. hoping4better

hoping4better Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    We have several chickens that are mutts, but two are MUCH smaller (1/2 size) than the rest. One I believe to behalf bantam. That said, they both lay normal size eggs (all mine are medium size from chickens that are less than a year).

She'll be fine. Just keep loving her!

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Our Golden Comet, NeeNee, looks exactly like yours. She is the runt of the litter and looks like a Bantam, but is the best forager of the flock. She lays normal sized eggs.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Most likely some banty genes in her. The good news is that's fine and she should lay accordingly.

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:LOL I have a "NeeNee" too! But mine is a silkie! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by