I think my chicken is blind now

NemiGem

Hatching
May 3, 2021
Hello everyone, my chicken has been showing signs that she can't see well the last 3 days. We rescued her from an egg production place a year ago and we think she is 3 or 4 years old. She looks healthy and has nothing in her eyes, but she doesn't see what's in front of her. She recognizes sounds and eats, but with my help. Is there an explanation to this? Should I be worried about it?

:welcome Uncertain as to the cause. She will be vulnerable to bullying so monitor closely. Provide feed and water in consistent places, and she will be okay.

I have a RIR and got her as a chick (hatchery stock). At about 6 weeks, I noticed she really wasn't seeing well (I'd put food in my hand and she would consistently peck my hand but not in the food area). She's just a bit past a year old now and she's actually really holding her own. When I have treats, I give some to the rest of the flock, then grab her and have a big handful and she manages to grab plenty. She is at the bottom of the pecking order but none of my chickens really are mean to her but I've always been a sucker for the underdog.

Back
Top Bottom