I think my chicken is dying. what can I do for her?

Pics
May 29, 2019
**I think I might be losing my first chicken. I got my inaugural flock of 7 hens (mixed flock) 2.5 years ago. I never realized how much I'd fall for each of them. And how devastating it would be when confronting the inevitable: my first chicken death. I've had some close calls, but I managed to keep everyone going strong, till now--and I'm devastated at thought of potentially losing a hen at the young age of 2 1/2**

I posted earlier in the week about my 2.5 y/o barred rock hen, "Cordy." I had suspected she was internally laying for a while, but then spotted a membrane hanging from her vent that I was unable to fully remove. I took her to the vet yesterday for that, and for the hard swelling around her vent, and he suspected she has an internal infection (likely EYP). he said he didn't believe she was currently laying (so no hormonal implant option), and did not want to drain her at all because 1) it would only be a band-aid, and 2) might be more stress on her/more risk of an infection/issue. So, he gave me antibiotics (augmentin) and metacam, and home we went.

I gave Cordy her first dose of metacam last night, on a piece of bread, and she happily ate it all up. While she wasn't eating her feed much, yesterday evening she still had plenty of energy to run around the yard scratching for bugs and gusto for treats. Last night she also ate a small amount of beef cat food that had her first dose of augmentin mixed in. I was feeling hopeful.

This morning, she was up and walking around her hospital pen, though I noticed lots of sickly poop--cooked looking whitish substance with bright green and yellow interspersed. While she ate plenty of cooked corn, she did not want the bread with her augmentin dose, so we had to force feed her (chicken burrito style). This seemed to push her over the edge, sending her into downward spiral. When we finished and I put her down she was unsteady on her legs, and then just stood there looking poorly. Now she won't even walk around outside and is just standing and closing her eyes off and on. She's alert to noises, will drink and take an occasional treat, but clearly does not want to move around. Her whole body is quaking with her breathing, though she's not panting. I'm only 2 does of her antibiotics and 1 dose of metacam deep, so I don't want to give up on her, but I worry she's suffering. Moreover, I'm worried I put her there through the stress of giving her meds. I really feel like I pushed her over the edge and I don't know what to do. I feel terrible.

Should I try to keep forcing the meds to give them at least a day or two to kick in? Or euthanize? What can I do for her to make her feel most comfortable and not alone? I put her out with her hens (she's the queen and they love her), though she just went into the coop to nap. She's still drinking, and will take some treats but her appetite seems to be dwindling--though she had a big breakfast. I think she's having trouble getting food digested.

Sorry for the rambling. This will potentially be my first chicken loss, and of course, this is the hen I've been most attached to. I love her so much and want to do everything I can for her.
0.jpg

0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

0-3.jpg

0-4.jpg

Cordy appears to have plenty of life left in her, but that "wolf" seems to be unimpressed by it. It's much too soon to have to decide about euthanizing her, but Cordy will give you signs when it's time.

It was likely a delayed reaction to the stress of going to the vet and not your forcing meds down her that appeared to send her into decline. The meds need a chance to work, so supportive care will be your main job.

Keeping her hydrated and eating so she doesn't get too weak to fight her illness is your goal. If you see her getting too weak to drink, put a little sugar in her water. Buy some Poultry Nutri-drench from the feed store. It has a formula especially for sick chickens that by-passes the liver so it goes to work immediately.

Giving her favorite foods is perfectly all right. Crumbled tofu, boiled or scrambled egg, applesauce, even Vienna sausage will keep her interested in food and keep her strength up. Be sure she drinks at least one cup of water a day in some form. Dehydration is the biggest enemy and can send a sick hen downhill faster than anything. You should ask your vet for a tube feeding kit (about $3-$5) so you can get water and food into her if she quits eating. Your vet can show you how or I can instruct you.

Cordy appears to have plenty of life left in her, but that "wolf" seems to be unimpressed by it. It's much too soon to have to decide about euthanizing her, but Cordy will give you signs when it's time.

It was likely a delayed reaction to the stress of going to the vet and not your forcing meds down her that appeared to send her into decline. The meds need a chance to work, so supportive care will be your main job.

Keeping her hydrated and eating so she doesn't get too weak to fight her illness is your goal. If you see her getting too weak to drink, put a little sugar in her water. Buy some Poultry Nutri-drench from the feed store. It has a formula especially for sick chickens that by-passes the liver so it goes to work immediately.

Giving her favorite foods is perfectly all right. Crumbled tofu, boiled or scrambled egg, applesauce, even Vienna sausage will keep her interested in food and keep her strength up. Be sure she drinks at least one cup of water a day in some form. Dehydration is the biggest enemy and can send a sick hen downhill faster than anything. You should ask your vet for a tube feeding kit (about $3-$5) so you can get water and food into her if she quits eating. Your vet can show you how or I can instruct you.
Thank you for this valuable info! She seems to be drinking a good bit on her own, but I'll monitor her tomorrow to make sure I don't need to supplement. I have nutri-drench--I'll have to check the dosage and add it to her daily rations (i.e. the daily circus of me pulling out all the stops to find something she'll eat... having chickens is humbling).

I agree it's too early. I panicked when I wrote this because she really seemed on death's door after her first forced feeding of meds/food this morning (I mix her meds with a small amount of food and force feed it to her--this ensures she's getting something in her stomach along with it). But later she bounced back and was happily munching on a watermelon I had brought out--and keeping all the other hens away from it with her evil eye. Her poop still looks horrendous, though. And her crop is slow.

After her afternoon dosage/feeding, she bounced back a lot quicker (though there was still a "I might die" vibe she gave off during/right after). She even foraged with the girls this evening and was scratching around/preening. During tonight's dosage I was happy to see her nab a giant basement spider like the ninja chicken she is.

Great ideas about food--haven't tried the tofu or sausage but will add that to the list. She's still keen on watermelon, grapes, cooked corn, oats, and canned tuna or beef cat food, though she has no interest in feed. I think I may need to get probiotics into her with all the antibiotics + slow crop. I know the odds aren't in her favor but I am staying cautiously hopeful.

Thanks again for always sharing your immense knowledge. I've learned a lot from you in my panic posts--and I've gone on to share that same knowledge with others.

@azygous she's still with us but her swelling hasn't gone down. I can hear her clicking when she breathes, though she's not open-mouth breathing. She'll eat watermelon and rice but is pretty picky otherwise. She still seems to have the energy to follow her flock around free-ranging, and will jump up roosts for belly scratches (though I pick her up to put her down so the landing doesn't hurt her belly).

Today I noticed a viscous, sticky/tarry/syrupy brownish substance leaking from her vent. It looks, feels, and almost smells like syrup (sweet-ish and NOT like poop). What could this be? It's definitely not blood, and as I said, has the consistency of syrup. Is this some of the fluid in her? I can't find anything on this on BYC or the broader internet.

Can you try to get a photo of this sticky-sweet poop leaking out of her? If you washed her, did it rinse off easily or did it stain her butt feathers?

Sometimes poop will reflect medications being given. How much longer is she scheduled to be on the antibiotic? Would you say she's improving, about the same, or declining from when she first began the antibiotic?

The clicking or crackling sound while breathing can sometimes indicate enlarged organs and tumors putting pressure on the lungs and heart. If Cordy declines rather than getting better on the antibiotic, then something more than infection is going on.

How large a flock do you have? have you had any chickens sicken and die before mysteriously? You would do well to think about getting a necropsy on Cordy if she dies. What she has may have implications for the rest of your chickens.

Can you try to get a photo of this sticky-sweet poop leaking out of her? If you washed her, did it rinse off easily or did it stain her butt feathers?

Sometimes poop will reflect medications being given. How much longer is she scheduled to be on the antibiotic? Would you say she's improving, about the same, or declining from when she first began the antibiotic?

The clicking or crackling sound while breathing can sometimes indicate enlarged organs and tumors putting pressure on the lungs and heart. If Cordy declines rather than getting better on the antibiotic, then something more than infection is going on.

How large a flock do you have? have you had any chickens sicken and die before mysteriously? You would do well to think about getting a necropsy on Cordy if she dies. What she has may have implications for the rest of your chickens.

20210920_114632.jpg

This is the best I can get--she's not sitting still for me. It's not the sickly poo which I keep cleaning off (I'm going to trim her feathers after this post), but that brown, syrupy-looking substance trailing down her vent area. It smells sweet and not like poop. Her augmentin (amoxicillin oral abx) does smell sweet in a lemony way, so perhaps that's the culprit.

The antibiotic is a ten day course with one refill if it seems to be helping her. I'm only in day 3. The initial day if administrating means seemed to catalyze a sharp decline, but the last couple days she's been bouncing back quickly from the administering and is willing to walk around the yard, scratch a bit, and eat live bugs. Those two days I'd say she seems about the same or slightly better, despite pickiness about eating.

If she doesn't make it I'm considering a necropsy. I will have her euthanized if it's clear she's suffering and only getting worse. But it's been hard to read her. She's sleepy but still interested in doing her favorite things like exploring the yard, eating watermelon, and jumping on her roost for belly scratches.

I have 7 chickens, 2.5 years old. Got them all together as day old chicks and have not lost one yet. My production RIR had similar issues to cordy (preceding her ascites) like soft shelled, weird shelled, and shell-less eggs, but has since gone into a dramatic molt, and despite looking deranged and cranky is doing well. It seems her transition to molting is what got her layer funky. She did not suffer from ascites. I also have an EE who's battled issues with overproductive laying her whole life, for which I limit her access to sunlight. She is otherwise healthy as a horse. Other issues include occasional roundworms, bumblefoot, and a chicken who has one foamy eye off and on for over a year with no clear root cause.

The antibiotic can be causing this diarrhea. And it can be aggravated by giving her fruits and veggies to eat.

Try withholding all high fiber foods except her regular feed, and also give her a probiotic tablet each day. Avoid yogurt or keifer because the milk in them can aggravate diarrhea.

See if doing those things stops the runs.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do. She's really not wanting any of her feed which has been tough. Will only eat white rice, watermelon, and live bugs. She gets bread as a vehicle for her meds. Are human probiotic capsules of any strength okay?

I had read that watermelon is a natural diuretic, so I was hoping her insistence on eating it would keep her both hydrated and also help with her fluid build-up. Seems to be the #1 thing perking her up each day :(
The antibiotic can be causing this diarrhea. And it can be aggravated by giving her fruits and veggies to eat.

Try withholding all high fiber foods except her regular feed, and also give her a probiotic tablet each day. Avoid yogurt or keifer because the milk in them can aggravate diarrhea.

See if doing those things stops the runs.

Yes on the human probiotic tablets. They will replace the good bacteria that control the levels of naughty bacteria in the intestines. Giving a tablet twice a day for the duration of the antibiotic would be helpful.

Try to interest her in eggs. You might also try canned mackerel or tuna or salmon. A little rice is okay, but the proteins would be good to balance it.

Back
Top Bottom