I think my chicken is very sick but i dont know whats wrong

i did the Corid but no improvement . she now sounds like she is wheezing a little and i heard her sneeze once she is also starting to fall asleep standing up

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. It's scary and heart breaking to have a sick chick you don't seem to be able to help.

But don't give up. She could have an intestinal infection that isn't responding to Corrid. Why not try antibiotics? Your vet could give you some and advise on the dose if you tell him her weight. Get some Poulty Nutri-drench. You can give the vitamins to her through the eye dropper and use it to give her water, too. I would mix up chick starter with water and make it thin enough to feed to her with the same eye dropper.

I've had this problem with a sick chicken and not knowing why they're sick and having them make a full recovery after a ten-day round of anti-biotics.

However, if she does die, I strongly recommend you get a necropsy so you know what this is. It could be something that is going to hit the others and you might be able to treat them before you lose them, too.

If she's wheezing and sneezing I would think respiratory infection. I had to give mine antibiotics just a few weeks ago for it. How many days has she been getting Corid? It'll take a few days or even a week to see improvement. With Corid, mine started getting better after 3 days but weren't completely better until after a week.

There are other causes of wheezing than respiratory infections. Cancer can cause tumors on organs which crowd the lungs, causing difficulty in breathing. That's why I give a wide spectrum antibiotic like amoxycillin if I suspect any sort of infection but can't figure out exactly what it is. Of course, if it's cancer, there's probably no cure. Beware, though, some avian cancers are caused by extremely contagious viruses.

This morning she started eating, and she is drinking more, she is still sleeping a lot but I am happy to see her eating. She seemed bad last night so I didn't think she would make it to morning, so I put a heating pad under her bedding and lowered the heat lamp and kept it running all night so she would be comfortable (especially since it is cold here right now). When I went to check on her this morning she jumped up, started chirping and immediately started eating the veggies I offered her. She didn't eat her normal amount but she ate a good enough amount. The sneezing and wheezing are gone as well. I am hoping this is a sign that she will get better and that maybe she just caught a cold or something

good news. she is back to normal and back out with the rest of her flock. i am going to be keeping a close eye on her though and if she seems even a little off she will come back inside

she has fallen behind some on growth I noticed when I put her back with her flock that the combs and waddles on the others are more red and larger where her comb is still black and her waddle is very small and has a slight pink tint to it......but I believe this is due to her being ill so hopefully now that she is better she will start catching up. again i want to thank everyone for your help
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom