I think my chicken is very sick but i dont know whats wrong

AeEdwards

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
i have a 2 month old black australorp that isn't acting right, i went out yesterday and she ran up and greeted me like usual and she ate and drank but then she went off in the corner and laid down and doesn't mind being picked up which is odd for her. and today she wont eat but she will drink, i brought her inside and put a heat lamp on her. she is pretty much just wanting to sleep, she gets up every little bit and drinks and chirps but wont eat. i am not sure but it looks like her nostrils might be a little swollen the openings don't seem to be very wide and im pretty sure they haven't always looked like that but again im not sure. here are a few pictures i took, i tried to get one of her nostril but its not very good

I'm not sure about her nostrils, but you might want to consider tube feeding her to get her back in her feet while you figure out what's wrong with her.

What's her poop look like ( pictures?) ? Any sneezing, wheezing or yucky eyes? Check for parasites... Do you worm your birds? How's her crop? Any one else sick? What do they eat?

her poop is real white with a few black lumps, sorry no pics of that at the moment, no sneezing or wheezing and her eyes look normal, no sign of parasites and no one else is sick everyone else is acting normal.....im not sure what her crop is, im somewhat new to raising chickens

and we recently(about 5 days ago) switched their feed from chick starter to layers feed. they eat that and i give them the vegetable scraps from my kitchen they were getting a lot of tomatoes up until recently (my plants are done for the year). but that is pretty much their diet, along with any bugs they find in there outdoor run

here is the pic of her poop. also she just started laying like this, then flipped to the other side and did the same and is now back to laying normal

Take her off layer feed if she is only 8 weeks old. They don't need the extra calcium that layer feed has, and need the extra protein that grower/starter has. With her acting puny and not eating, I would treat her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium.) She is at the age for that illness, and symptoms are lethargy, weakness, not eating, and diarrhea (with or without blood.) Corid is harmless if this turns out to not be her problem.

I agree, at her age I would absolutely treat with Corid asap. You need to at least be able to rule out the possibility of coccidiosis. Most any feed store as well as Tractor Supply should have Corid. You usually have to look for it in the cattle section. Comes in liquid or powder, either one is fine.

Dose for the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, mix it up fresh every day and treat for 5 to 7 days.

Dose for powder is 1.5 to 2 teaspoons per gallon, same directions otherwise.

In those pic's where she is laying on her side she is in a typical sun bathing position, especially if she did one side then the other. I wouldn't worry about that as long as she gets up and sits normally otherwise.

Edited to add: If she's feeling crummy it is very unlikely she'll drink enough on her own. You will need to use an eye dropper or a small, needless syringe and give her the medicated water as often as you can this first day or so. Every couple hours dribble some in her beak if you are around to do that. If you get the liquid Corid you can also give her a drop or two, undiluted, to get her started. Then continue mixing it in her water as directed. You just have to make sure she's getting the medicated water until she feels better and starts drinking well on her own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom