I think my chickens are stupid

modenacart

Songster
12 Years
Jan 21, 2008
New Bern, NC
When it rains the only chicken that will go into the house is the polish. All the others just stand in the rain looking stupid. Is this typical or are they just plain stupid?

Mine all seem to enjoy a warm, gentle rain. If it comes down too hard they go inside or under the coop to play.
smile.png

same here, they have a favorite spot on top my well next to a large snowball bush. They stay there or roam the yard and when they feel its too hard they go in. Many times only the roo and his girl are out.

When the remnents of Ike passed through Michigan a couple weeks ago I measured 19 inches of rain over 4 days and I don't think my RIRs missed a drop!
tongue.png
By the end of it they looked like wet dish rags but seemed to enjoy it none the less.
smile.png

I don't understand the concept of warm rain either(it pretty much only rains during our winter time here).

Most of my flock are completely free range.. it is mixed. Some stand in rain, others flee for shelter as soon as a single drop falls.. most are in between, they try to range if the rain stays light but will seek shelter when it starts to rain hard.

Silkies tended to be very stupid.. moronic really. Many times there would be one or two standing RIGHT under run off from the patio or a building. The worst spots. They're literally getting poured on and they're just standing there upright with the water streaming off them. Idiots.

It's no longer a concern- decided silkies are too stupid to free range so they are all now permanently in a SOLID covered pen.

Last edited:
Maybe we need to address the idea that there may actually be smart chickens somewhere in the world.
Mine head for cover when it rains, usually under the carport or in their coop if they happen to be close to it.
However this in no way indicates that I have smart chickens. I know this because I just spent the last half hour holding a gate open for them only to watch them ignore me and try to squeeze through the bars of the gate.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom