I Think My Chickens Have Mites!

HA tHAT'S GREAT!
Yeah, that's our name sake!
A 12 acre beaver swamp right in the middle of our 130 acre farm.
I just inhearited it a year or so ago and my wife and I have been cleaning, clearing and moving ever since. We are working on a massive new bantam pen right now for 24 different breeds.
I will be so glad when it's threw!lol
Anyway,

I had a friend of mine come in next to this pond and dig all the stumps on about 5 acres or so , so we could put our house and aviaries in. (we had just cut the timber off)
Well just as soon as he finished, all the holes still open and everything, we got 10 inches of rain out of a tropical storm, followed by another 24 inches from yet another storm a month later, and thus, Boggy Bottom Bantams was born!
The place was a mess and it took several months , all summer really, to dry out!
But, we are in now, just need about 20 more hours in a day and 10 helpers to get everything ready for this up coming season.
Thanks for looking at out site!
Aubrey

Here one of our 16 ponds! Ten years ago we bought a 30 acre retired fish farm! We still stock trout in the spring fed pond and lots of bass & perch in other 10 that hold water!
14851_100_1672.jpg

Didn't disappear, just had to do some work. Sometimes it's hard to leave the computer since I logged onto BYC, :rolleyes:lol. If one chicken has mites, they ALL have mites. If you just have a few chickens, buy some scarlet oil spray in the can, wait until all the chickens are on the roost at night, slip in and spray their legs and feet with the scarlet oil. Next night, give them a squirt on the butt with Adams or Frontline Flea and tick spray. one under each wing would be good to (with the Adams or Frontline). If you have LOTS (50-100) of chickens, slip in at night with a garden sprayer (5 or 10 gallon)of Permethrin and water. Spray their legs, butt, back and under the wings with the permethrin. When you do this at night, be very quiet (no talking) and the chickens will just stand up when you are going down the line spraying. critters eating feathers (mites, lice and blue bugs) are a CONSTANT fight. leg mites will cause your chickens considerable discomfort and look unsightly. I've always tried to raise only what I can care for properly so if you feel you don't have time to mite proof, worm, feed water and house your birds you've probably got too many. Just cut back a little on the number of fowl and it will work better for you.

Back
Top Bottom