I Think My Chickens Have Mites!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ScrambledAcresFarm, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    My chicken's legs are white and the scales on their legs are raised. Is this mites? (1)How do I identify them, (2)How do I get rid of them?

2. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Yeppers, I think you've got scaly leg mites. Scalet oil spray really is good for leg mites. You can mix Sevin dust and petroleum vaseline to smear on their legs to smother and kill scaley mite too. Frontline/Adams dog spray for the topside and smear for the legs. Works for me.

3. ScrambledAcresFarm

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    You mean I have to catch and treat each individually one? THeres not any thing else I can do?

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    So, if they are on the legs does that mean they are everywhere? (body)?

5. ScrambledAcresFarm

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    I think this kind just keeps to the legs.
    I haven't noticed it anywhere else.

6. sewincircle

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I see. Can you picture them with their feathers all raised up like a blowfish? That would not be good! Do you have to treat everyone or just the one with symptoms? And what about bedding? Does that all have to be burnt? Wow, I really hope not.

7. ScrambledAcresFarm

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    I'm sure I have to treat all of them at once and burning the old bedding and providing fresh would be the best thing to do. Too bad PooBear disapeared! I was hoping for more info!

8. sewincircle

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Someone may know more too. I am watching as well! Its good to know. Good luck with your treatment.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Yes you have to treat all of them.
    As with any mite infestation, they are everywhere by now. Just use the above remidies, burn the bedding, and dust your houses and pens and surrounding area with the sevin dust.
    It's noy as bad as it sounds.
    These mites, do just effect the leg scales, but can be present in the feathers as well. a light boddy dusting with the sevin dust wouldnt hurt while you're at it!
    Good luck
    Aubrey

P.S
    I dont think their feathers will puff up too bad! LOL

10. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Put Vaseline on the legs. It will suffocate the mites and smooth the scaly looks.
    For the future I would put Diatomaceus Earth everywhere in the coop, ground, roost, nestboxes, walls.....Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by