I Think My Chickens Have Mites!

Yeppers, I think you've got scaly leg mites. Scalet oil spray really is good for leg mites. You can mix Sevin dust and petroleum vaseline to smear on their legs to smother and kill scaley mite too. Frontline/Adams dog spray for the topside and smear for the legs. Works for me.

I see. Can you picture them with their feathers all raised up like a blowfish? That would not be good! Do you have to treat everyone or just the one with symptoms? And what about bedding? Does that all have to be burnt? Wow, I really hope not.

Yes you have to treat all of them.
As with any mite infestation, they are everywhere by now. Just use the above remidies, burn the bedding, and dust your houses and pens and surrounding area with the sevin dust.
It's noy as bad as it sounds.
These mites, do just effect the leg scales, but can be present in the feathers as well. a light boddy dusting with the sevin dust wouldnt hurt while you're at it!
Good luck
Aubrey

P.S
I dont think their feathers will puff up too bad! LOL

Put Vaseline on the legs. It will suffocate the mites and smooth the scaly looks.
For the future I would put Diatomaceus Earth everywhere in the coop, ground, roost, nestboxes, walls.....Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom