I think my chicks hate me

JennTx

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Texas
Mabye hate is a strong word.
wink.png
But they seriously do not like me. I brought them home from the feed store on Friday (they arrived at the store on Friday--so they are around 3-4 days old now) and everytime I go in to talk to them, or try to pick them up, they all go WILD!!

I reasearched prior to purchasing them, and kept reading how tame, and loving, and mild mannered the Buff Orpingtons were. But somehow, mine don't act anything like that. I keep reading how everyone's chicks love to be held, and accept being loved on. But all of mine (we have 10) are petrified of me.
sad.png

I have been extremely careful when I pick them up, and hold them. But they all seem to freak everytime I reach my hand in the brooder. I even tried just putting my hand in there and keeping it still--just to see if any would get up the courage to even peck at me. But they all ran to the other side, and stayed there until I removed my hand.
sad.png
Is this normal for such little chicks? Will they come around to being held/loved on? Or am I expecting too much, too soon, since we have only had them for 3 days now.

Help--I feel like a really bad chick mum.
sad.png

Your Not a bad chick mum. There just not sure who you are...so there instinct kick in...

Time and patience and getting down to there eye level will help in time..

Once they get a bit older....treats also help...
smile.png

They will be that way for quite a while. Give them a few months and they will warm up to you. Its something you have to expect out of all chicks. Take them out of the brooder on a warm day. Put them in the grass and set down with them. Watch how fast they warm up to you that way. Some times when your reaching down into the brooder to grab them it scares them cause most preditors reach down from above.

It took mine almost two weeks, and then it was like a light went off in their head! Mom = treats!!!!
After that they stood at their brooder door and cried for me to come take them outside or bring treats. My RIR pullet I call Queenie always comes up to me and expects a bug. I expect they will get friendlier the more I mess with them and bring them treats

I know exactly how you feel! I just got my first batch of chicks and ducklings on Saturday and they're terrified of me. They all run away and it almost sounds like they are screaming as they run
sad.png
. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one going through this. I've been putting a little food in my hand and letting them eat from it. It seems to help a little. I guess it makes my hand a little less scary
lol.png

I did the same thing with mine - I forced myself to only put my hand in with treats and not pick them up or try and pet them too much for the first few weeks. It really helped them associate my hands with good things!

try feeding them from ur hand like oats or their food they will eventualy warm up to you

Aw, they don't hate you, just give them some time!!! I bet they will be your big babies within due time! GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
Definitely agree! Also, when you pick them up- try to scoop them up from underneath instead of reaching straight down and grabbing them. It's less predator-like. Good luck with your babies!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom