I think my duck is sick

Kately123

Hatching
Nov 14, 2020
Hello all.
I have 8 three month old ducks and 4 one month old ducks
One of my three month old ducks started acting strange today. We found (her? We are still figuring sex out) in the coop alone. She has isolated herself almost all day. She did swim for a bit earlier but is acting strange. She keeps laying down and standing up almost straight where her tail feathers touch the ground.
I give brewers yeast in the duck food and they always have access to water.
I brought her inside for the night but she is slightly panting and isn’t moving around much.
does anyone have any suggestions?
thank you!

Attachments

• D7551200-4E5E-45D6-A3EF-DF9500484531.jpeg
    D7551200-4E5E-45D6-A3EF-DF9500484531.jpeg
    580.3 KB · Views: 22
Update: she is almost hissing if you try to reach in to change the water now. She looked like she almost went to strike my hand and made a very hiss like sound.

Could you post a video of her? To post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

The behavior you're describing sounds like she is broody, but it's also possible the aggressive/broody behavior she is exhibiting is just part of her sass. If you could get a picture of her standing up weird, that would be good too.

I assume you're not getting any eggs yet?

Could you post a video of her? To post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

The behavior you're describing sounds like she is broody, but it's also possible the aggressive/broody behavior she is exhibiting is just part of her sass. If you could get a picture of her standing up weird, that would be good too.

I assume you're not getting any eggs yet?

Thanks for the response!
No she is only three months old. I thought that was too young to be broody and for eggs.
I have uploaded two videos.

Thanks for the response!
No she is only three months old. I thought that was too young to be broody and for eggs.
I have uploaded two videos.
Excuse the mess. We have tried to clean it but she is being very stubborn and won’t let us move her

Attachments

• 6C78912E-5561-4867-B72C-9B35AF6CE627.jpeg
    6C78912E-5561-4867-B72C-9B35AF6CE627.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 8
  • 925F6B93-2BD3-4859-8872-13F25FD81F99.jpeg
    925F6B93-2BD3-4859-8872-13F25FD81F99.jpeg
    563.2 KB · Views: 8
It appears she is straining to defecate. She may have eaten something large, or lots of grass and it's now in a ball. She seems too young to be really laying yet.

I would try to let her rear soak in some warm Epsom salt water for a few minutes to help relax those muscles, and hopefully whatever is stuck will come out. In the case that she was egg bound, which seems unlikely given her age, you could administer some tums, or calcium gluconate. If she is not drinking much, try to drip sugar water or Gatorade along her bill often to keep her hydrated.

If she isn't feeling better soon, it may be best to take her to a vet, or lube up your finger, and gently insert it into her vent, and try to feel for anything abnormal, and see if you can gently tease it out without too much resitance.

Back
Top Bottom