I think my ducks are sterile

Did you test the incubator with at least one calibrated thermometer? My guess is that there's something wrong with your incubator, as those eggs sure look fertile and those hens are definitely not crossed with a Muscovy.

Did you test the incubator with at least one calibrated thermometer? My guess is that there's something wrong with your incubator, as those eggs sure look fertile and those hens are definitely not crossed with a Muscovy.
Yes I did calibrate it. I also added 6 hygrometers in there
I also bought a second incubator thinking that was the problem
This is why I am so confused
Eggs look fertile
Ducks look Pekin
2 different Incubators both calibrated
Watched my boy mate
I just have no answer other then they are mixed with Muscovy causing sterile
My boy is fully khaki Campbell. I am in contact with that breeder and she only had that breed So no chance of it being him

Yes I did calibrate it. I also added 6 hygrometers in there
I also bought a second incubator thinking that was the problem
This is why I am so confused
Eggs look fertile
Ducks look Pekin
2 different Incubators both calibrated
Watched my boy mate
I just have no answer other then they are mixed with Muscovy causing sterile
My boy is fully khaki Campbell. I am in contact with that breeder and she only had that breed So no chance of it being him
If the one of the ducks were sterile you wouldn't see a bulleye in the eggs as they could not be fertilized. Bullseye means that the eggs got fertilized and a sterile duck couldn't either produce a fertilized egg. Just speaking of the general biology of it all.

If the one of the ducks were sterile you wouldn't see a bulleye in the eggs as they could not be fertilized. Bullseye means that the eggs got fertilized and a sterile duck couldn't either produce a fertilized egg. Just speaking of the general biology of it all.
So there is hope I could get babies from them yet then :)
I have 4 eggs going to my breeder I got my drake from this weekend. She has 80-100% hatch rate with her incubator on ducks
hopefully she gets some to hatch for me
Then I will know it’s my incubators

These ducks are pretty young. They are really still juveniles. So, the fact that there is even eggs to be fertilized is a bonus. I'd wait until spring to start incubating a clutch.
Exactly what I was going to say! At this age it's a bit of luck to even get fertilized eggs. Normally you don't get consistently fertilized eggs until 2-3 months after sexual maturity.

Last edited:
These ducks are pretty young. They are really still juveniles. So, the fact that there is even eggs to be fertilized is a bonus. I'd wait until spring to start incubating a clutch.
Thank you.
maybe that is a possibility
I noticed the last 4 she has laid she is keeping the area completely clean and keeping the eggs in a little area
Before she would just drop them wherever and not cover them up. Her sister that passed away on us was building a nest and laying in the same spot everyday We lost her a few weeks ago :(. Still waiting on autopsy results as even the vet was stumped

Update for all that were helping me on this thread. My ducks must have been just to young at the time or learning how to make things work right They are now 8 and 5 months old and parents to a beautiful duckling born at midnight day 28 I have 4 more ready to hatch in the next few days as well as mom has 6 eggs she is just over 2 weeks of sitting on. She did loose 3 of them in her nest and they were cold and not moving the others were warm and moving about. I brought those 3 up last night with not much hope and all 3 are moving today I may move them back down to her this evening or continue to incubate and just leave her with the 3 as she is young and her first time
Baby is already up running around the incubator and ready to go. The other two eggs with it have just internal pipped in the last 12 hours so better to let them rest as this one keeps rolling them all over the place lol
0D2B1BCB-48A1-44F3-87B9-1572A4D5E980.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom