I think my ducks broken his leg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ducks hurt there feet all the time. I would be so far in debt if I ran to the vet all the time. I use Vaseline on the cancers & cuts they get on there feet. It is imposable to keep a duck out of water & this is the only thing that I know that stays on them. It also keeps there legs from getting scaley & sore. I have never had a bird with a broken leg but Popsicle sticks & electrical tape sounds like it should work (with some plaster over it if you like the looks of it).

I will do my own doctoring, butchering, or composting which ever is called for at the time. I even do the most of my own doctoring on myself. I can clean & stitch a cut as well or better & it doesn't cost near as much.

If you prefer to pay someone else to do it for you or can't do it then the vet is the right choice for you. I try to do everything myself that it makes sense to.

Here is a blog post about my ducks broken leg and how my vet fixed it.

http://simplykneaded.blogspot.com/2009/09/fighting-circle-of-life.htm

She
took tape and made a loop off the ducks foot. She then pulled traction with the loop while she taped it to a splint type brace. She then wrapped it with curlex and made a cast. It was very cool. I kept him in the den for 8 weeks in a baby pool filled with shavings. He has made a remarkable recovery. Still a bit gimpy but walks well considering.

PS. I was going to give him to a friend to euthanize him but my daughter was sobbing so hard I didn't have the heart. Luckily the vet is a personal friend.

Last edited:
You might consider allowing him to swim in deep water to help out his leg muscles (or other things) without him putting weight on it.

But make sure to watch him.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom