I think my ducks broken his leg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Squirtchy2009, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    :(One of my white calls has not been putting a weight on his leg for about 3 days, at first i though it would possiby go away but it hasnt, could it be broken, hes not showing any dicomfort , but he is limping, or not putting and presure on it at all and sitting down a lot?

If it is broken how could i cast it up! lol that sounds over extreme, how could i help him ! [​IMG]

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Pick the duck up and look first for swelling. Then try to bend all the joints. Also look at the bottom of his foot to see if he hurt himself.

3. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I would bet that the bottom of his feet has a cut or blister. If it does put some Vaseline on it & it should heal nicely.

4. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Do you have a vet in your area? My first duck broke her leg and the only way I could figure out what was wrong with her was an xray.

5. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    one of our call ducks broke its leg and the vet put a rod in the shaft so it would heal straight....if it is broken it can heal on its own, but it might not be straight.
    Like the other posters said, if it is a full fracture you will know by examining the leg, if it is a hair line fracture I would leave it alone and it will heal on its own, but it is most likely that he has a sore on his foot or pulled his leg wrong and he will heal up in a week or two.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We bought a trio of Calls from a breeder and the smallest girl has had a leg injury since we got her. But she is still able to get around on her own. She walks with a limp and will bump into things every once in a while, but it seems to have healed on it's own and she has no problem. [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have a young Campbell who I am pretty sure had a broken leg. He limped very badly for almost 2 months, but examining the leg and foot on several occasions revealed nothing. He laid down most of the time with the leg stretched out. He now walks with slightly more waggle than the other ducks, but is otherwise fine. If you cannot feel a displaced fracture, or feel a hot, swollen area, or see an obvious wound, then I would recommend just letting time heal it.

8. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I've had two 'gimpy' ducks. One had an abscess on the bottom of her foot. She wasn't healing in spite of trying to isolate her in an area with clean dry bedding so I eventually took her to the vet who showed me how to clean it and he provided ten days worth of antibiotics. She healed remarkable quickly after I started treating it. The other duck got tangled up in a soccer net. He was having GREAT difficulty walking on it for about a week, but I couldn't feel any break or dislocation, so I was hopeful it was just some kind of a sprain. He slowly improved and now you can't tell there was ever a problem.

Hope yours will start to heal soon. It seems crazy to take a duck to the vets, but sometimes we eventually just gotta break down and do it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  9. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    We have the same problem right now with one of our turkeys. I'm so worried about her. She just lays sideways on the ground most of the day, but she still walks/limps over to eat and drink. It's been like that for a few days now. I tried to feel all up and down her leg and also her other bones, but couldn't feel anything out of place, so maybe it's just a sprain or a hairline fracture.

10. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Hey, Squirtchy - you be sure and update us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by