1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my eggs are doing ok

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laurieb01, Mar 18, 2016.

1. laurieb01

laurieb01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    This is day 6 for our 4 Serama eggs. Our little bantam Cochin has been a champ, in fact we have to lock her away from them a couple times a day so she will eat/drink/poop[​IMG]

We decided to candle today and each egg had a large dark area and a smaller light area which I marked on the shell. Since this is our first time, I checked online and it from the pics I saw I think we have chicks growing!

Am I right? We also candled an unfertilized egg to see any difference and it was clear, no dark areas at all so I'm hoping we r good.

I'd appreciate feedback and advice if necessary.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Here's a thread I think will help you to know what you are looking at. It's got pics day 1-18.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

3. laurieb01

laurieb01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    Yikes, now I'm worried because I don't see all that veining. But I'm not seeing into the eggs that clearly either. Just basically just light and dark. Maybe my candler isn't strong enough. I hope [​IMG]

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I wouldn't worry too much. Some eggs are harder to see inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by