I think my favorite chick is a roo. Please help me sex and guess age for my Bantam Cochins.

SleepyOwl

Songster
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
MN
See update on post #9

Hi everyone! I could use a bit of help please. First of all, I think I was had when I bought these cochins. Three weeks ago, I picked up four, 3 day old standard pullet chicks. The next day we went to pick up 4 bantam cochins that the lady said were 6 days old. She said they were so tiny! So I drove 1.5 hours to pick up these chicks. When we got there, they didn't seem very tiny to me. They looked similar in size to the ones I had at home, not only that, but some were quite feathered (the meir fleur ones that I wanted, of course.) She assured me they were all from the same batch, hatched just 6 days before. So, I picked out four (hoping for at least 2 hens) and brought them home, but once I got them next to my chicks, I found they were even bigger than mine. This frustrated me quite a bit, because the whole reason I drove so far was to get chicks the same age as mine. I had found some 3 week old bantam cochins that are 10 minutes from me, and I didn't need to waste my whole day getting older birds.

ETA: I think I sounded kind of harsh, the lady might have just forgotten which chicks were born when. I just wanted to say that I don't think she tried to decieve me, and maybe I am just way off base, and bantam cochins just grow way faster than all my other birds. lol

Anyway, so now I am not sure how old they are. They were supposed to be hatched April 20th.

Next, I am pretty sure two out of the four are roos, but now I am thinking one that I thought was a pullet, is also in fact, a roo. "She" also happens to be the most friendly and sweet of all of them. *sigh*

Here she/he is.

She holds herself very low and squat like a hen, but the comb and wattle have me worried. Also, she has been chasing and lounging at the other chicks since I put them outside for the first time yesterday.

What do you think? (Sex and age.)

Here is the one that I think is the only pullet.

This guy (frizzle?) She didn't even tell me they could be frizzeled.... a bit frustrated about that too, but whatever.) I am leaning towards roo, even though, really, I have zero experience. Just a feeling that I have.

And this black guy (behind the EE, and you can see him from behind in the picture above) I also think is a roo. His comb and wattle are still very small, but he stands very upright and tall.

Here are all of my chicks. That is a standard size Brahma in the front, and the little black/grey in the back is a Wyandotte to help you compare the size of my bantams. (The two grey(blue?) and brown ones are EEs.) I know I am a newb, but I have such a hard time believing they are the same age.

So, what are your guesses (or KNOWS)?
big_smile.png

TIA,
Laura

Last edited:
1st two cockerel and a pullet and they look to be around 6 weeks old

3rd is not a frizzle and to early to tell gender but looks like it might be a pullet looks to be around 3 weeks of age

4th looks like a pullet still and to be around 3 weeks of age

at 6 weeks gender will be apparent

I don't have a guess--except the first one really does look like a roo! However if the last poster is right then 1 out of 4 roo is not too bad! yay for you!!

Thanks everyone, that is what I thought (the first one is a roo.) I live in town, so he will have to go.
sad.png

The 3rd and 4th are at least 4 weeks old, as I have had them 3 weeks, and they were at least a week when I got them.

As for the white guy/gal, not a frizzle. That is good, as I really don't like the frizzle look. I guess his feathers are just coming in wonky, as half of the wing feathers twist and curve all over. lol

I thought I would update where we are so far, and now I have a couple new questions...

Update on the Mr.
Well, he hasn't started crowing yet, but when he does, I will be taking him to my sister's. He is getting so pretty though, and I will miss him when he goes! :( We actually don't have rules against roosters here. I do have to get permission from my neighbors every year though, so I don't want to risk annoying everyone.

Does this one still look like a she?

My little black girl (I think you are right, she still looks like a she so far), is gettiing some color. Is this color called anything? I couldn't find anything to compare it to, except maybe just mixed with gold lace and it isn't formed right?

My pretty little non- frizzle. ;) Her feathers have all settled down now.

Here is my other sex question.
Our EE bought as pullet, but she is showing redish on her wings. Is this "cockerel red", or does she have enough red color on the rest of her that she could still be a she?

Our other EE to compare. This one was gray as a chick, and the above one was brown.

And just because I posted pictures of all my other chickens, I thought I would add one of the other two. ;)

Back
Top Bottom