I think my hen is egg bound.

I can feel a firm lump under her belly.

She is eating, drinking, and actually pooping. Poop was water last night but solid this morning.

It feels like the egg has moved further back towards her vent. But other than that no change.
Putting her back is a good idea if she's alert, active and pooping.
Hopefully she's will expel the egg, but I have to wonder if you are feeling a lump under her belly if you are feeling the gizzard or if she's laid internally.
Time will tell.
Check to see if her crop has emptied overnight.

Let us know how she's doing.

Update: she's been out with the flock since yesterday. I can still feel the egg. She's not coming out of our mobile coop. These are her poops this morning.😔 Do you think she is suffering?? I know that these color poops are normal...
20211202_073108.jpg

Is her crop emptying overnight?
How's her behavior? Still eating/drinking and moving about?

Green poop is usually not eating.
Where exactly are you feeling the egg? Below the vent between the legs?
She may have laid internally. Hard to know.
I would push fluids, see if she will eat.
Her crop did empty this morning and yesterday morning. She's not moving around anymore. It's below her vent a couple inches. Between her legs.

I'll bring her back in and see if I can get some fluids in her. Her tail is tucked in as well.

Update: She came out of the coop on her own. I felt and the egg has definitely moved. Yesterday it was between her legs, now it is about a thumbs width from her vent. I am going to glove and lube up and see if I can feel it. Hopefully she'll lay it by morning.

Ok, this is where we're at. She's alert, seems to be eating and drink based on her poops. I cannot feel the egg from the inside, I'm not sure it's an egg anymore. I tried to get good pics of it. She is still straining from time to time though. I'm not sure what to do at this point??

it seems to be the size of a golf ball
20211203_153317.jpg

20211203_153009.jpg

Ok, this is where we're at. She's alert, seems to be eating and drink based on her poops. I cannot feel the egg from the inside, I'm not sure it's an egg anymore. I tried to get good pics of it. She is still straining from time to time though. I'm not sure what to do at this point??

it seems to be the size of a golf ball
View attachment 2917554
View attachment 2917552
It may be a hernia, but I wonder if it's a mass/tumor or she laid internally.

Let's see if @Eggcessive or @coach723 have any better suggestions.

I have to wonder if you are feeling a lump under her belly if you are feeling the gizzard or if she's laid internally.
Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom