I think my hen is sick.

flowergirl60

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Austin Tx
I have a 1 yr old RIR who just this morning would not come out of the coop. She sounds like she has a stuffy nose and won't eat. I did get her to drink a little. Gave her a warm bath and she just sat in my lap with her eyes closed. It's scaring me b/c she never would let me even pick her up. I have her in a seperate run from the other girls now. Every one else is fine out roaming. Any advice on what may be wrong? I have never had a sick hen and don't know what to do.
hu.gif

You should keep them inside because the temperature is more controlled there. We haven't really had any sort of sickness with our hens, but one thing you should do is give her plenty of rest. Don't over excite her by handling her unless you have to. Scrambled eggs are really beneficial to them, as far as I know.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I tried the scramble eggs but she didn't want them. Right now she is in a comfortable place in the shade. I will bring her in tonight if she doesn't get better. Since the water she at least is resting with her eyes open.

There could be many things causing your little hen to be ill, and there are a few questions that need to be known. Have you introduced any new chickens to your flock ? Is your RIR having diarrhea or pasting of the vent ? or blood in her stool? if this is infectious antibiotics will help. Although I would try giving electrolytes first, I would not advise bathing a ill bird, usually the birds do not need bathing only for showing purposes. If you bathe a bird this will chill it more and if already chilled this would not help. Try to resist handling you ill bird, if your bird usually will not be handled and is ill It's response will be a racing heart beat. Sometimes the birds mortality rate will drop when having a larger flock. It's almost a pecking order, and it's true there is the bottom of the totem pole. I hope your little birdie pulls threw. It is probably nothing you did wrong, so rest easy and time will heal.

Thanks flowerhippie....no new chickens in the flock. poo is clear like water with a little white, no blood. I don't have a large flock only 3 including her. She is really sweet and protects my other hen who is at the bottom of the totem pole. I feel so bad. My Grandson had his last football game and I didn't go. I've gone to every game he's had and just feel horrble. My husband thinks I'm overreacting.

Back
Top Bottom