I think my Pretty Boy needs a crop bra

Calmkl

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Northwest Arkansas
So to he had sour crop I read a million threads with every tip and trick in the book, chose what I thought would work for him and got to work on the slow process of helping him heal. A little over a week into treating it and he was repeatedly starting his morning with an empty crop, yay we did it! Well he got slow crop (not soured yet) a week or so later. Got it better and wormed my little flock thinking maybe that was causing it. Well it's back again so I thought maybe he just has a slow crop. Started trying to monitor his eating and trying have him eat smaller amounts as not to over fill his crop, except when I don't give him free choice food he starts eating anything he can find and that's usually means things he should not be eating. Which clearly isn't going to help the problem. With free choice feeding he eats sooo much, the others will be done and off doing their thing and he's trying to finish off all the food. We'll its definitely soured again now and I'm pretty sure we have moved on to pendulum crop. He loves getting crop massages so that's helpful but I can't help his food move constantly for the rest of forever so I find myself search threads for how to's for crop bras. I knows there is a pretty good chance that his pendulum crop could be a life long problem but I'm hoping because he's still so young, only about 3 months old, that maybe it could heal itself with time and the help of a crop bra for now. Does anyone have experience with pendulum crop healing over time? I know chickens don't get embarrassed like people but the idea of my rooster roaming around with a bra on for forever just seems wrong haha. If it needs to be then so be it but that brings me to my next question sorry if it dumb but will it cause problems with him being able to mate properly? My hope is that at some point one of my girls will go broody and I want to let them hatch their own chicks. If you made it though all my rambling thank you even if you don't have an answer to my questions. This is my first time taking care of chickens and I think he's testing my dedication to continuing down this path haha I'm off to search my house for the best things I have to make a crop bra for my poor boy.
Snapchat-1881878173.jpg

I don't really have anything to help you, but are you giving them grit? Crumble or pellets? Have you tried soaking the food over night and mixing in apple cider vinegar?

Definitely need to know if you are giving grit (No oyster shells as some people think that oyster shells = grit) because if not that could be the main problem and an easier fix.

If so, then I would look into a crop bra

Yes they have access to grit at all times kept in a separate dish then the food. I buy crumble but it currently getting turned into mush for them with some probiotics and some poultry cell.

Yes they have access to grit at all times kept in a separate dish then the food. I buy crumble but it currently getting turned into mush for them with some probiotics and some poultry cell.
How long are you leaving it wet? Over night is good because they can digest it better, two days is too long.

How long are you leaving it wet? Over night is good because they can digest it better, two days is too long.
I make it every morning, enough for the day. I'm worried if I make it at night my asshole cat who is SUPER jealous of the chickens will knock it over and spill it everywhere or eat it (which I have actually caught him doing) he's very vindictive. But knows better then to go so far as too hurt them.

I make it every morning, enough for the day. I'm worried if I make it at night my asshole cat who is SUPER jealous of the chickens will knock it over and spill it everywhere or eat it (which I have actually caught him doing) he's very vindictive. But knows better then to go so far as too hurt them.
Get a bucket with a lid. I'd how many chickens you have but lowes, home depot, wilco, tractor supply, ace, pretty much everywhere like that sales buckets with lids for around $3-5 if it doesn't sit over night it won't ferment which is what you want

Get a bucket with a lid. I'd how many chickens you have but lowes, home depot, wilco, tractor supply, ace, pretty much everywhere like that sales buckets with lids for around $3-5 if it doesn't sit over night it won't ferment which is what you want
I only have have three currently so I think one of those buckets would be overkill haha but I'll find something from the kitchen with a decently secure lid and hide it from the cat. I did realize it made much of a difference to let it sit overnight, thank you.

I only have have three currently so I think one of those buckets would be overkill haha but I'll find something from the kitchen with a decently secure lid and hide it from the cat. I did realize it made much of a difference to let it sit overnight, thank you.
Haha yeah that would. A plastic Tupperware container from the dollar store would do!

Ball jars are a favorite of mine

Back
Top Bottom