I think my silkie has botulism

Botulism is a disease caused by eating a toxin that is found in dead animal or fish carcasses, and in dead vegetation that has been underground or underwater without oxygen. Symptoms of botulism are complete flaccid paralysis of the whole body and neck. It begins in the feet and legs, and spreads up the spinal nerves to the wings, neck, and eyelids. The breathing muscles become paralyzed and death is soonafter.
It started in the neck for her. Thank you for the info.

Also, what have you been feeding her? A bit of info on what is going, on, how you been feeding them, have they been standing around in rot because of the weather? how sudden did this come on etc? Whatever you can tell us might help, however isolation of the bird that is sick is the first thing you should do. If it does pass, the others can try to eat it, and will then contract it themselves. Did you feed compost that may have been rotten?

Aaron
I feed her the Dumor laying pellets and they get it fresh every single day.

If you can post a picture of her that would help. I would look around your area for any dead animals or fish, or if they have been getting into a compost bed where they could be eating something there. That way no others would get into it. Sometimes mold poisoning can look a little like botulism. Can she move either wing or leg at all?

If it started in the neck, but she could move her legs, then I would suspect wry neck or possibly Mareks disease. Could she be dehydrated? Is she able to swallow water if you drip some into her beak?

If it started in the neck, but she could move her legs, then I would suspect wry neck or possibly Mareks disease. Could she be dehydrated? Is she able to swallow water if you drip some into her beak?
I don't know if she is. I honestly don't think that there is anything to do for her. I'm more worried about my flock.

If you can post a picture of her that would help. I would look around your area for any dead animals or fish, or if they have been getting into a compost bed where they could be eating something there. That way no others would get into it. Sometimes mold poisoning can look a little like botulism. Can she move either wing or leg at all?
They are kept in an enclosed run with no access to anything but the run and coop. She can move her wings and legs.

It sounds like she has wry neck or torticolis, a neurological symptom, that can be a result of a head injury, a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, and is seen in several diseases including Mareks disease, and others. Do you have any pictures of her? You can give her vitamin E400 IU and some B1 thiamine every day.

It sounds like she has wry neck or torticolis, a neurological symptom, that can be a result of a head injury, a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, and is seen in several diseases including Mareks disease, and others. Do you have any pictures of her? You can give her vitamin E400 IU and some B1 thiamine every day.
I don't have pics. How do I get those vitamins and how do I give them?

I don't have pics. How do I get those vitamins and how do I give them?
Hi, I’ve followed Eggcessives’ advice for the last few days.
My pullet has her head down, but she is improving.

I’m treating my pullet by piercing a vitamin E capsule and squeezing into the end of her beak and letting her swallow the oil. I crushed a B complex tablet and put about 1/4 of that into a small amount of scrambled egg and fed her that. Daily. Also I took away their food (Dumor layer pellets). And replaced with Purina Flockraiser. Also I found mites and dusted everyone and the coop with permethrin poultry dust.

Might want to check the feed sack for lot number just to rule out tainted food. It’s been a whole year since last February’s recall of Dumor food.
https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-...t-lot-codes-purinarrabbit-feed-purinar-turkey

Most Walmarts and drug stores, even supermarkets carry vitamin supplements. B complex tablets have thiamine (B1) and 1/4 tablet daily is good. Crush it in a spoonful of water or in food, and vitamin E 400 IU pearls can be pierces and given with a syringe or squirted on food.

Back
Top Bottom