I think new chick has a cold

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FLOWERPOT, Apr 9, 2008.

1. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I went to the feed store this am. to get some MORE chick starter food, and they had one little Buff Orpington male left, so of course I brought him home. I figured since I have 20 egg layer famales I should probably have at least one male right? Since he was a BO. and I have 4 BO girls so he would fit right in... Right? and how could I leave that little boy there all by himself... Right?
    Well now he is home and I introduced him to the girls (they are all 5 weeks old) and he fits in like he was always there. But I was watching for a while to make sure and noticed him sneezing, Wet sneezing, So I brought him back in and put him in the baby brooder for a while.
    Do you think he needs a buddy with him or will he make her sick too?
    Is he really sick or is that something chicks just do? I never noticed my others doing that.
    I should have known better than to just throw him in without watching him for a while first!!

2. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
    I would keep him isolated for a couple of weeks first.
    Give him a nice stuffed animal buddy for cuddling.
    He will be ok for a couple of weeks way better in your house than alone at the feed store

Good luck with the chic and thanks for taking him home,
    Ed

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    When I have a bird with a sneezing/congestion problem I put some ACV, Apple Cider Vinegar, in their water. Usually about 1 tablespoon to a gallon would be enough. But I use the kind of vinegar with the apple sediment, called the mother, still in it. It's not as processed as regular vinegar and it does a better job. The brand most commonly found is Bragg's. Anyway, it can be bought a any health food store and some grocery stores. It works like a charm for congestion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by