I think one of my hens was eaten

ziggywiggy1

Chirping
Apr 23, 2021
Went to feed this morning and saw a burst of feathers outside the coop, realize it was the one that likes to fly out of the run, so she must have been outside the coop overnight. I followed a trail of several other feather explosions but could not find a body. No blood evident. It’s just so weird, maybe she was running away and whatever it was kept getting a mouthful of feathers? I’m trying not to hold out hope she might have hunkered down somewhere. Would a large cat do this? It’s just so weird how far the trail of feathers stretched with no evidence of being eaten.

That tracks, there is a fox in the area, I haven’t seen him for months but he was out in the day light several months ago boldly watching my hens free range about 100 yards away. Guess I’ll be fort knoxing the coop tomorrow, I’m sure he’ll be back.

Oh, and sorry for your loss. I hate it when that happens. A hawk killed one of mine on Thanksgiving while I was carving the turkey. Dropped my knife and ran outside, but it was way too late.
Sorry for your loss, mine was named Melvin and she was the most independent of the bunch.

Back
Top Bottom