I think only one egg is viable :0(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by calicokat, May 12, 2010.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Well, I'd be the first to say I'm a newbie at this hatching and candling stuff.

But I really think only one of my eggs is viable and I'm heartbroken. I marked the rest as questionable and possible quitters. The one good one is dark and filling up a lot of the egg. Two others have smaller masses - I'm hoping they will hatch, and they are just bantums. The eggs were Bantum & LF both. About 5 of the original 9 eggs looked a bit smaller, so we figured those were banties.

I guess the good news is, after all the reading I've done about broodys and hatching, I know that I have a good chance that my hen will go broody again, and I'll have another chance.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    What day are you on that you dandled the eggs? Being a newbie, let all the eggs go the full 21 days + 2. That is unless you can see a crack in an egg. Over time you will get it right.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I snuck them under her the evening of April 30th - so we're on day 12.

& I plan to let the 7 remaining ones go all 20 some days, but I'm preparing myself now since it looks grim. One was broken on arrival, and one was taken out after candleing last night - cracked it and it hadn't even started to develope. But the other 7 are staying till the momma leaves them behind in the nest [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by