I think our 3 week old Buff is sick :(

Mar 30, 2020
This is our second time raising chicks. We have 3 chicks that are 3 weeks old, an Isa Brown, Black Jersey Giant, and a Buff Orpington. Our buff has been quieter and less active than the other two since we got them 2 weeks ago . We noticed a week ago she was laying down much more than the others, and sometimes even eats and drinks laying down. She would eat and drink like normal, and walk around so we didn’t think much of it. But today she is having a hard time standing and I feel like she looks a little pale. She will take a few steps and then sit back down with her legs in front of her, but she is wobbly when she walks. Is there anything I can to do help her? Her legs look fine, I feel like she is ill.

This is our second time raising chicks. We have 3 chicks that are 3 weeks old, an Isa Brown, Black Jersey Giant, and a Buff Orpington. Our buff has been quieter and less active than the other two since we got them 2 weeks ago . We noticed a week ago she was laying down much more than the others, and sometimes even eats and drinks laying down. She would eat and drink like normal, and walk around so we didn’t think much of it. But today she is having a hard time standing and I feel like she looks a little pale. She will take a few steps and then sit back down with her legs in front of her, but she is wobbly when she walks. Is there anything I can to do help her? Her legs look fine, I feel like she is ill.
Have you already dewormed them?

. You can kind of see in this picture. She is sitting down when the other chickens are standing. She will walk very clumsily to get water and food, usually falling back a few times with her legs out in front like the picture of her alone.

Attachments

• EF3B0C7C-17C3-4B91-AAD4-3B3862AF6671.jpeg
    EF3B0C7C-17C3-4B91-AAD4-3B3862AF6671.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 498F87D6-283F-40B9-9188-F6E07622F038.jpeg
    498F87D6-283F-40B9-9188-F6E07622F038.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 8
Pretty young to need worming.

One of the chickens has runny diarrhea, but I am not sure which one it is.
Could be coccidiosis. Pic of poop would help.

She is sitting down when the other chickens are standing. She will walk very clumsily to get water and food, usually falling back a few times with her legs out in front like the picture of her alone.
Has her leg always been wonky?

No, and her legs actually look fine, it’s like they won’t support her almost. Since we got her she has like to lay down more than the others and liked to be held a lot and that seemed to be increasing but she could walk, stand and jump with no issue. But she would flap her wings and try to fly around, and could easily jump on the little roost and liked laying there . It just seemed like in the last 24 hours she can’t stand up for long.

Does anyone know that of an online vet we could do a video appt with? I don’t know what to do for her. I can’t tell if her abdomen is swollen and that is causing her leg issues, or if she is having leg issues? Wondering if it could be a leg issue up higher near her hip or something. We have been giving electrolytes and Corid for two days, she doesn’t seem to be getting better and doesn’t seem to be getting worse.

Back
Top Bottom