I think she is embarrassed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Oct 10, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Someone had a thread about chicken laying in the nest box's & she was throwing straw on her back. Well mine is doing the same thing. I feel she wants more privacy. What do ya'll think.? I hate to change anything cause she on a roll. Here's a picture of my box's.[​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I would cover either the top or the front to make it more enclosed.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Thanks. I have been told to close the top before. The only reason I have not done it is. I found this coop in the woods on our farm. Its probably 50 years old. It was built by my grandfathers care taker. I moved the coop & used his design figuring he knew alot more about chicken care then I do.

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Cool! he probably did know more about chickens, but if your chickens don't like it I would enclose it a bit more.

Mine like 5 gal. buckets (upright) and hay bales, even though they have 6 brand new covered nesting boxes.

5. farmerbrownsdaughter

farmerbrownsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Maple Ridge, B.C.
    Yup, I'd put a board along the top.

6. Rockerchic

Rockerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I've seen my comet hen doing the same thing with the straw, putting it on her back. I have a covered nest box, so I don't thing the lack of a "lid" is the issue.Maybe it's just her way of rearranging the straw for comfort.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would not cover the nests; there is no need. She is throwing stuff on her back for camoflage. It's an instinct from when they made nests under bushes, etc. It's not really a matter of privacy, it's a matter of blending in with her surroundings. She will probably do this no matter what kind of nest you provide. No harm done; let her do what she wants to do, I say.

Some of my nests have tops, some do not. They use both.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2010
  8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Thanks, I've been around the block with these birds & I'll help them. But its time for some eggs. I think your right so Whats the saying if it works don't fix it.

9. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    Mine are in nest boxes with tops. It's normal for them to reach for a piece of straw and toss it towards their back. After they lay and hop out, the continue to pick up a piece or two of straw and keep doing the same for about five minutes. Normal stuff.

10. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Quote:Mine was doing that too. She went from box to box picking straw and tossing it onto her back . Then she would hop back into her box, shake and repeat several times. being new i thought they all did this...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by