I think she is embarrassed

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
Someone had a thread about chicken laying in the nest box's & she was throwing straw on her back. Well mine is doing the same thing. I feel she wants more privacy. What do ya'll think.? I hate to change anything cause she on a roll. Here's a picture of my box's.
63768_p7250090.jpg

Quote:
Thanks. I have been told to close the top before. The only reason I have not done it is. I found this coop in the woods on our farm. Its probably 50 years old. It was built by my grandfathers care taker. I moved the coop & used his design figuring he knew alot more about chicken care then I do.

Cool! he probably did know more about chickens, but if your chickens don't like it I would enclose it a bit more.

Mine like 5 gal. buckets (upright) and hay bales, even though they have 6 brand new covered nesting boxes.

I've seen my comet hen doing the same thing with the straw, putting it on her back. I have a covered nest box, so I don't thing the lack of a "lid" is the issue.Maybe it's just her way of rearranging the straw for comfort.

I would not cover the nests; there is no need. She is throwing stuff on her back for camoflage. It's an instinct from when they made nests under bushes, etc. It's not really a matter of privacy, it's a matter of blending in with her surroundings. She will probably do this no matter what kind of nest you provide. No harm done; let her do what she wants to do, I say.

Some of my nests have tops, some do not. They use both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Thanks, I've been around the block with these birds & I'll help them. But its time for some eggs. I think your right so Whats the saying if it works don't fix it.

Mine are in nest boxes with tops. It's normal for them to reach for a piece of straw and toss it towards their back. After they lay and hop out, the continue to pick up a piece or two of straw and keep doing the same for about five minutes. Normal stuff.

Quote:
Mine was doing that too. She went from box to box picking straw and tossing it onto her back . Then she would hop back into her box, shake and repeat several times. being new i thought they all did this...

Back
Top Bottom