I think SHE is in fact a HE?

Can you keep roosters? If not, I recommend rehoming now if you are going that path. Cockerels and roosters take a while to rehome.
I most likely cannot keep two roosters, and even with one, I would only be able to keep it under two conditions: if it was nice and if the neighbors didn’t complain. (I live in a suburban area). I know one lady who might be able to accept one rooster if it was nice, but I’m not sure.

Attachments

• A37A2368-6ADE-41C5-831D-BAE25606DF01.png
    A37A2368-6ADE-41C5-831D-BAE25606DF01.png
    983.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 9EED8088-4E15-4F76-A383-2516FCAAFB96.jpeg
    9EED8088-4E15-4F76-A383-2516FCAAFB96.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Although, I believe brahmas feathers in quicker, it does depend on breed as well. Male saddles definitely dont come in that early for all breeds.
Maybe that's it. I raised an Australorp x Brahma cross, some Marans and Marans x Red Sexlink crosses.
Compared to my Brahmas they feathered way slower

Brahmas feather in incredibly slowly. I fed 28% protein and never had a picking problem, yet had a cockerel have a completely bare back until 14-16 weeks. Most of my Brahmas have saddle feathers under their main cushion of feathers by ten weeks but you would have to know what to look for and search for them. I would expect most any other breed (minus other slow growers like Cochins or Orloffs) to have them emerging by ten weeks assuming they've been fed high enough protein for feather growth. :) The 8-9 weeks estimate seems entirely plausible, especially if the Brahmas were from a hatchery line as they growth much faster than my birds did!
I grow Brahmas for showing, but I don't live in US. Maybe here some breeds were selected to feather in quickier and there are some differences between US and Europe

A little update. I think I saw Brook trying to mount Pearl but I’m not totally sure because I saw it out of the corner of my eye. They are 10 1/2 weeks and Brook is getting very mean, acting like a protector for Pearl. Brook hasn’t crowed, but I think I’m seeing rooster saddle feathers. They are longer than Pearl’s, skinnier, and hang down over Brook’s sides a bit.
Brook:
8E7502A4-CAB9-4948-BB62-6ADB8BDE1868.jpeg

Pearl:
963DA8C7-8AF0-4593-9FAE-78431C134543.jpeg

A little update. I think I saw Brook trying to mount Pearl but I’m not totally sure because I saw it out of the corner of my eye. They are 10 1/2 weeks and Brook is getting very mean, acting like a protector for Pearl. Brook hasn’t crowed, but I think I’m seeing rooster saddle feathers. They are longer than Pearl’s, skinnier, and hang down over Brook’s sides a bit.
Brook:
View attachment 2806429
Pearl:
View attachment 2806430
Yep, cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom