I think she may be a he 😳

NikkiC399

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
My RIR’s are 5 weeks and today I noticed my most aggressive rir has a much larger comb and wattle appearance then the others. I did get them from tsc. I’m not totally opposed to having one I just thought we bought all egg layers so this may be a game changer. Any opinion on the sex of this beautiful baby RIR?

Attachments

• 00CFDF9E-7604-4923-8C1E-13866992942B.jpeg
    00CFDF9E-7604-4923-8C1E-13866992942B.jpeg
    711.3 KB · Views: 42
So cute. Actually one of my favorites so im excited. Now i just need to know how to keep him and the girls

Not much different than just keeping girls really.

First thing is to raise him to be a respectable rooster. He needs to not ever be coddled, cuddled. He should move out of your path of travel instead of standing his ground. YOU need to be the alpha not him. That does not mean being mean at all. It means being confident in your handling of the hens, the coop, the run and especially him. He nerds to respect your space at all times.

For food.....roosters do not have the calcium needs hens do. A good all flock feed is fine for everyone. Keep oyster shell and grit in separate dishes near the food. Those that need it will get what they need on their own.

Do you have small children?
If so that can change things a bit.

Not much different than just keeping girls really.

First thing is to raise him to be a respectable rooster. He needs to not ever be coddled, cuddled. He should move out of your path of travel instead of standing his ground. YOU need to be the alpha not him. That does not mean being mean at all. It means being confident in your handling of the hens, the coop, the run and especially him. He nerds to respect your space at all times.

For food.....roosters do not have the calcium needs hens do. A good all flock feed is fine for everyone. Keep oyster shell and grit in separate dishes near the food. Those that need it will get what they need on their own.

Do you have small children?
If so that can change things a bit.
I do have a 3 year old but when he’s in the room he/she kinds of just stands off. My toddler has been around them all every day at least once a day.

I do have a 3 year old but when he’s in the room he/she kinds of just stands off. My toddler has been around them all every day at least once a day.

Oh it is not that the kid is a danger to the cockerel....quite the opposite.

Don't let that tiny rooster charge your kiddo. Those spurs are always dirty and dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom