I think she might be a he...

jennie1019

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 15, 2013

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could tell me if they think this is a rooster. Also is this an easter egger? This is our first time owning chickens and I think that we may have a rooster here. This chicken is about 4 months old... It's name is hawk girl... However it might really need to be hawk boy :)

At first blush, the look is black sex link female, but upon closer examination, it is an interesting bird. I see a kind of rose comb, white ear lobes and other features that leave me stymied. I don't know all the various breeds very well. That said, the look is very pullet like. I don't see any distinguishing male features, at this point. 16 weeks is too young for the "egg" test. Many birds do not lay until 6 months of age.

Thanks for your input!! We got the chickens from the hardware store this spring so we don't know the breeds we ended up with, lol. I know that comb color and size aren't always determining factors in sex, but this chicken is the only one that had a really red comb. I find all of this interesting and it is fun to learn along the way!!

Last edited:
She looks to me like she might be a Rose Comb Brown Leghorn, some commercial hatcheries like McMurray do sell them, so it is possible you could find them in a feed or hardware store.

Thanks everyone!! She does look like a rose comb brown leghorn... I googled some pictures :)

Yep,rose comb brown leghorn.She'll lay you lots of nice white eggs. Once you google pics, you can see the big difference in coloring of male and female, also.

Back
Top Bottom