I Think She's Been Scalped!

jtdiehl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
New York
I have chicks that are almost 3 months old. I have been trying to integrate them into the coop with my older birds. I put up a baby gate around them so that they could see each other, but not hurt each other. The past week or so, I have been letting the little ones out during the day. The big guys didn't seem to be bothering them at all. At night, they go to their separate parts of the coop.

The past two days, my young ones have been venturing out of the coop to do a bit of free ranging. Tonight, one went missing. When we found her, it looked as though she had been scalped. I didn't see the attack, so I am not sure what happened. I cleaned off her head with anti-bacterial soap and warm water, put anti-bacterial ointment on her, separated her from the group, and put her under the heat lamp. I don't know if she'll make it through the night or not.

Has anyone ever dealt with such a severe injury? If so, did the victim survive? What else can you suggest I do for her to help her heal?

Thanks for your input!

I've had a few that happened to. I rinse with iodine, and spray blue kote on when the iodine dries. Keep it seperated from the rest of the flock for a while and it should be good as new.

Please do, I have had this before also, healed fine.........
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
WOW! These birds are amazing! She is doing great. Actually, I can't seem to keep her from the other chicks, so I have allowed her back into her coop. I had her separated, but she kept pushing through to get to the other chicks. Even my son was amazed with how good she looks! Thank you for all the suggestions!
Tammy

Glad she is fine! I rescued a severely picked chicken and she has finally molted and now looks as good as the rest of my flock! I also had one that got trapped behind a holding pen in the coop and got severly pecked! Scalped! She healed up fine as well!

Keep a close eye on her , it probably wouldn't take much for the others to start pecking at her and open up the wound. Thanks for letting us know how she's doing thats great!!

I just put a little more Blue Kote on her this morning to assure that there is no blood showing. She is feisty, and mingling right back with the flock. I am still amazed at how well shes doing! This is such a wonderful site, with such helpful members. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom