I think something is wrong!

MargoStewart

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
I'm afraid my favorite little chickie is sick. She's always been a loner so it's not abnormal for her to be off to herself. we call her Dummy cause she seems super clueless a lot of the time. Tonight, my husband took the chicks out for their free range time and he said she did her usual thing. He put them back in the coop and everyone went up to bed except for her.

She did the same thing last night, we had to go get her because she just settled down to sleep in the run area. I just went out and she was in the run but under the hen house where I couldn't reach. We usually get a broom and put it behind them to encourage them to come out. I did that and she just barely moved. I had to carefully push her with the broom.

When I picked her up she was super docile. Usually she flaps around and wants down. And she squaks a bit. Nothing tonight. I brought her in and gave her a once over. No blood or injuries that I can see. I haven't noticed any weird poo out there.

I put her back in the coop. Everyone else is up on the roost. I just put her in and slid my hand out from under her and she is just staying right there. What should I do? Is it possible she's just tired?

Just went to check and she’s still in the same spot she was in when I left her.
I would bring her in for the night, just so you can keep an eye on her. Don't give her food or water, that way you can check her crop in the morning, see if it emptied overnight. Check it now too. Is it hard, soft, squishy? How old is she and what do you feed her? How does her poop look? @Wyorp Rock can help too, if she's on

Her crop feels about like it’s been feeling. I don’t notice it extra hard or squishy. She’s 10 weeks and she is still on starter feed. Not certain about her poop but I did put her in the garage in her own box so hopefully I can see in the morning. I’m just so worried something is wrong and she won’t make it through the night. 😔

I have a video of her but it won’t let me post. I just have this one photo. Don’t have photos of poop because she has been in with everyone else today and I wouldn’t know what’s hers. It was dark out by the time I realized she wasn’t herself and I did look around the run with a flashlight and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.

Attachments

• EB48EBE4-01CA-4AB4-A36A-09B41D2E8E3B.jpeg
    EB48EBE4-01CA-4AB4-A36A-09B41D2E8E3B.jpeg
    658.3 KB · Views: 8
I feel like the worst pet parent. 😔 I’m headed to bed with my dog who ate half a chocolate cake today and we ended up at the emergency vet. Thank you guys for your help. Praying she is still around in the morning and I can get her some medicine or something. I’ll update then.

I feel like the worst pet parent. 😔 I’m headed to bed with my dog who ate half a chocolate cake today and we ended up at the emergency vet. Thank you guys for your help. Praying she is still around in the morning and I can get her some medicine or something. I’ll update then.
:hugsThings will work out :hugs

Get her comfy in her box, let her sleep. You'll be able to see what her poop is like in the morning. (photos in the morning)
Check her crop in the morning to see if it's emptied. Then provide her with water and a little food.

I hope your dog is going to be o.k.!

Hope your dog is ok!

Back
Top Bottom