I think something is wrong!

Just went to check on her this morning and she’s acting like she’s fine. 🤷🏼‍♀️ She was standing up in the box looking around. There is just one poop, not sure how many times/night she should be pooping. I gave her some food and water. Her crop is no longer full. I took her outside for some pictures and she does have a little white spot on her beak but I didn’t have my glasses on and couldn’t tell what it was. She hopped around and pecked at the ground like normal. Is letting me pet her and pick her up easily which isn’t generally a thing but she’s not lethargic like she was last night.

Thanks for the sweet comments on my dog. He’ll be fine. Had fluids an anti-nausea meds and has a fancy diet for the next day…along with a tummy ache. But he will be ok!

Attachments

• 9E9564B4-7630-4EF2-9212-C5EFE33C1B99.jpeg
    9E9564B4-7630-4EF2-9212-C5EFE33C1B99.jpeg
    830.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 640F99BD-3DEC-4AAE-A124-12B94456B39F.jpeg
    640F99BD-3DEC-4AAE-A124-12B94456B39F.jpeg
    708.7 KB · Views: 4
  • C2DB610F-95D2-4559-9AF7-A01316841304.jpeg
    C2DB610F-95D2-4559-9AF7-A01316841304.jpeg
    536.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 0DB482F7-8C89-4514-9A8B-2F921183FE50.jpeg
    0DB482F7-8C89-4514-9A8B-2F921183FE50.jpeg
    472.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 3061EC4D-31E9-4664-AE79-9A0303F57EEB.jpeg
    3061EC4D-31E9-4664-AE79-9A0303F57EEB.jpeg
    659.2 KB · Views: 4
Just went to check on her this morning and she’s acting like she’s fine. 🤷🏼‍♀️ She was standing up in the box looking around. There is just one poop, not sure how many times/night she should be pooping. I gave her some food and water. Her crop is no longer full. I took her outside for some pictures and she does have a little white spot on her beak but I didn’t have my glasses on and couldn’t tell what it was. She hopped around and pecked at the ground like normal. Is letting me pet her and pick her up easily which isn’t generally a thing but she’s not lethargic like she was last night.

Thanks for the sweet comments on my dog. He’ll be fine. Had fluids an anti-nausea meds and has a fancy diet for the next day…along with a tummy ache. But he will be ok!
Glad the pup will be ok! And just keep an eye on the chick, she sounds like she'll be ok too. Make sure she's eating and drinking

Isn't she cute! I'm glad she's doing better.

The speck looks like maybe a bit of food, but when you can take a closer look.

Poop looks o.k. to me.
Is she the only Silkie? Does she get picked at?
I'd watch to see if she's getting to food/water outside and not being bullied. Sometimes you can have one that is timid or gets pushed from food/water and they are not staying hydrated and eating well. They bounce back o.k. once brought aside with their own food/water.
If this is happening, then adding another feed/water station (or more!) can be helpful. This gives the lower birds a chance to eat/drink without being pushed around so much.

Good news about your dog too!

Isn't she cute! I'm glad she's doing better.

The speck looks like maybe a bit of food, but when you can take a closer look.

Poop looks o.k. to me.
Is she the only Silkie? Does she get picked at?
I'd watch to see if she's getting to food/water outside and not being bullied. Sometimes you can have one that is timid or gets pushed from food/water and they are not staying hydrated and eating well. They bounce back o.k. once brought aside with their own food/water.
If this is happening, then adding another feed/water station (or more!) can be helpful. This gives the lower birds a chance to eat/drink without being pushed around so much.

Good news about your dog too!
There is one other silkie but it’s currently chest bumping with a confirmed rooster so I’m pretty sure it’s a he. 🙈 She’s a ton better. But still isn’t going up into the house at night. Have to come get her and put up by hand. She’s eating and drinking and I don’t ever see anyone picking on her. She just does her own thing most of the time. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I've never had Silkies but according to folks I know and from threads I've read here on BYC,
Silkies can be in need of a bit of coddling at times.
Have you ever seen her go inside the coop/house by herself? She may be having some difficulty navigating - a ramp? step? not sure how your housing is setup.

Sometimes chicks can be timid or they really don't "fit in" and just do their own thing. Try to monitor the best you can and observe behaviors.

Chest bumping. Both boys and girls can do that, but you may be right that the other is a boy. Think about what you may have to do if you end up with 2 cockerels. Do you have space for separation if they end up not getting along? What's your goals, etc.

It’s been a week since she started acting weird that one night. My husband just went outside to do some work and came back and said “I don’t want you to freak out, but it looks like we have a dead chicken.” Of course it had to be her. 😔

She’s been acting completely normal. This morning she was up in the house while the others were outside so I checked on her. She seemed ok, just still keeping to herself like she does.

I’ve seen her eating and drinking. There’s no poop anywhere that looks abnormal. No bloody spots on her or anything that looks like she was being picked on.

I’m not sure what I need to do with everyone else. Do I need to do any preventative treatment? No one else is acting abnormal at all. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I'm very sorry about your pullet:hugs

Without sending the body for testing, it would be hard to know what caused her to die.
There are so many things - anything from developmental issues, heart failure to disease.

Honestly, I would just monitor the rest, if they all seem to be doing well, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom