I think something took one of my ducks

Superblonde

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I had two drakes, they are about 6 months old. This morning when I got up to feed them one was missing. The one doesn't fly at all and the one that is missing could only get a few feet off the ground. I know ducks can die if they get separated, and I have a friend that is going to take my remaining duck to put with his flock. I put the remaining duck back in the coop and he has been hissing and biting at me, which he has never done before. I looked to see if there were any feathers or blood anywhere in the yard but couldn't find anything. I live in more of a city area and we don't get very many animals in the yard except the occasional ground hog. I'm worried that he got attacked and killed and that's why my remaining duck is being so defensive. Does anyone know what kind of animal would take a mallard duck and not leave a trace in Northeast Ohio?

I don't know about Ohio but my last ducks were taken by a fox, hardly a trace but that's Ireland, I don't even know if you have foxes in America haha

This has been largely unhelpful but I felt compelled to reply

I don't know about Ohio but my last ducks were taken by a fox, hardly a trace but that's Ireland, I don't even know if you have foxes in America haha

This has been largely unhelpful but I felt compelled to reply
Yes we have foxes and raccoons and mink and weasels and bobcat etc the list goes on and on plus flying predators owls being one. If you leave a duck outside or in a run that isn't predator safe your going to lose them. Your duck probably suffered trauma watching his buddy get taken or eaten in front of him and is in shock most likely I hope he will be safe in his new home. Very sorry for your loss, AND Welcome to BYC both of you!

I had them in a coop that I bought from Tractor Supply, but it looks like the lock wasn't in all the way and they managed to get out. I went to visit the farm that my Hall was going to be moved to and it looks like a great place. The owner of the farm said that he had a large flock and a bobcat got a hold of all but one of his ducks. Hopefully my drake is ok with the move and gets along with the female on the farm.

Don't let this put you off having ducks! Incubate some, it was an innocent error that the duck was taken, the issue with your coop seems to have been a one-off

I had them in a coop that I bought from Tractor Supply, but it looks like the lock wasn't in all the way and they managed to get out. I went to visit the farm that my Hall was going to be moved to and it looks like a great place. The owner of the farm said that he had a large flock and a bobcat got a hold of all but one of his ducks. Hopefully my drake is ok with the move and gets along with the female on the farm.

That's the problem with predators once they have gotten an easy meal they keep coming back. I hope the farmer has taken precautions and fixed the problem so your drake and his duck will be safe. I know about locks one night I woke up around midnight and remembered I hadn't locked the one duck house I got up and went out and finished locking up. I have multiple latches on this house but a few I hadn't fastened, and after reading how raccoons can open latches well my heart was in my stomach till i saw they were safe. Maybe one day you'll get ducks again.
smile.png
They are a joy to have.

Back
Top Bottom