I think the Tractor supply store sold me geese instead of ducks...

The heavy bodied meat breeds tend to get too heavy to fly but they may get some height before they bulk out. Our Muscovy drakes were far too heavy to fly and even the hens were too heavy for their wings. The juveniles could fly a bit but they stayed with their mothers so they mostly walked instead of flying. I am not sure they knew what their wings were for other than splashing water when bathing.

Meat Birds ?? I hope they are not meat birds, I plan to build a floating duck coop and have them live on my 5 acre lake behind my house. I would hate to see them start having issues after 6 months. but I did notice that the wings on them are very small compared to their size, is that how you know if they are meat birds ?? also does anyone know if the Tractor supply place sale meat duck birds ??
Having them on a lake will take a lot of stress off their legs

Hello everyone, a little less then 2 weeks ago I purchased 5 ducklings from the store at which time they said they where 1 week old, which made sense since the chicks they had where also 1 week old and where only slighter smaller than the ducks. Now I am thinking they are not ducks but geese because they are have grown so much its insane. when I bought them all five could rest in my two hands cupped, now only on duckling can fit in one hand and even then half of its body is outside the hand boundary.

I posted some pictures of them in hopes someone can tell me what they are, I have had chickens for 4 years now and this is my attempt to expanded my boundaries with water fouls, so my knowledge concerning them is limited.

Any info would be great
bow.gif

keep in mind the duckling below is less then 3 weeks old
ep.gif

These look like Pekin ducks. Ducks grow fast, and at a rate faster than chicks.

Those are ducks for sure. At least you didn't get my bad luck. I ordered Khaki Campbells from chickensforbackyards.com (1 drake, 3 hens) and I got 5 hens instead. I talked to them and they only offered 2 choices - either order more so I can get the drake sent with that shipment, or just get my money back. What a rip-off. So in order to get my drake, I have to give them more money.

Hello everyone, a little less then 2 weeks ago I purchased 5 ducklings from the store at which time they said they where 1 week old, which made sense since the chicks they had where also 1 week old and where only slighter smaller than the ducks. Now I am thinking they are not ducks but geese because they are have grown so much its insane. when I bought them all five could rest in my two hands cupped, now only on duckling can fit in one hand and even then half of its body is outside the hand boundary.

I posted some pictures of them in hopes someone can tell me what they are, I have had chickens for 4 years now and this is my attempt to expanded my boundaries with water fouls, so my knowledge concerning them is limited.

Any info would be great
bow.gif

keep in mind the duckling below is less then 3 weeks old
ep.gif

My ducks are like that only different colors, They are Pekin & Mallard. Some grow very big very fast & others grow smaller.

Those are ducks for sure. At least you didn't get my bad luck. I ordered Khaki Campbells from chickensforbackyards.com (1 drake, 3 hens) and I got 5 hens instead. I talked to them and they only offered 2 choices - either order more so I can get the drake sent with that shipment, or just get my money back. What a rip-off. So in order to get my drake, I have to give them more money.
Get your money back.
Drakes are not that difficult to find since they need to be a rehomed more frequently than the females.

Back
Top Bottom