I think there is a predator in my garage maybe a rat???

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
as many know I keep chooks in my garage, I also keep quail in various wire cages in there. Anyway I have a 2 tier cage which was housing a very unfriendly but large pair of A&M quail, yesterday I go to feed and one is all bloody with tips of the wings and all the feathers gone from its back. Well seeing blood on the other I just assumed the roo had attacked the hen. (he was always nasty but seemed to like her so I was confused). I separated them and in the process put the injured one into my basement where it would be warmer. I moved who I thought was the offender into another cage leaving the original cage empty. This particular cage being close to the wall and I guess accessible by the shelf against the wall next to it.

Anyway today come to find out that the injured one is the roo not the hen. I think that's weird but stranger things have happened. I decide to move my other trio of quail into the original cage and with in an hour when I come back to check on how they are adjusting I see blood everywhere again and one of the quail missing the tips of its wings and some feathers.

I am thinking there is something reaching into this particular cage? maybe the others cages since they are not close to anything and have legs and are off the ground that this is the only cage the rat can reach??? does it even sound like a rat? do they reach in?

I have lots of silkies in there and never have had a death or problem. I can see no metal or anything in the cage that would hurt the quail in such a way.

If I set those snap traps will it catch the rat or is something else better??? This is a first for me and I keep the garage clean and keep checking to see if anything is in there but other than the bloody quail I would never know that there was a problem, no poo, or any signs at all.

Thanks

its possible you have a rat, stay out there for a couple mins and see if he shows himself, but if you have 1 you more then likely have a 1000

oh heck no there could not possibly be a 1000 I have 4 cats living right next to the garage and they are all very good killers.

AHHHH I hope not, oh that would really S**K
hide.gif

oh and I linger in my garage sometimes for an hour at a time or more just staring at my chooks, and looking them all over and did hang out looking at the cage for at least 30minutes just a few hours ago. I saw nothing it is the strangest thing.

I have to set a trap tomorrow, mabe many traps.....

Last edited:
You would find rat droppings if it was a rat, and like you said, with those insanely vicious cats you have I doubt a rat would make it.

Don't worry about having thousands either. With your garage setup that's highly unlikely. A good old fashioned rat trap with some peanut butter will do the trick.

Did I ever tell you the reason I have those havaheart traps was for rats?
roll.png
Never caught one in the little one but you've had good luck with the big one, coon killer.
tongue.png

Happy New Year. Give the kid a hug from Uncle PC. Hug the rat too, what the heck.

We had rat(s) getting into our detached garage, so we re-set the big garage door so it came in very close contact with the ground and replaced the seal on the bottom. No more rat droppings for almost a year, so I think this was a successful move.

well I cant sleep and no I have not had a drop of booze tonight
lol.png
burp jk

anyway I am due for a new weather strip for sure as the garage does not seal very well at all. I will try that.

Oh and PC there will be no have a heart for those rats let me tell you
lol.png
I will set the trap with some peanut butter tomorrow I just looked in with a flashlight and saw nothing. As for the big trap you lent me it seems as my last coon was not alone so the trap is set hopefully I will catch the bugger tomorrow.
big_smile.png
They finally picked up the last coon I left on the curb the other day, I was afraid there was gonna be a pile of them if they did not come this week, my sister said that 2 dead coons in the same place at the curb would arouse suspicions, you think???

I'm not sure how big your cages are, but would it be possible to build a larger cage out of a frame and 1/2" gauge hardware cloth and set the smaller cages in it? You need some protection until you can solve this mystery and it sounds like a bold creature is getting in there. Check above- sometimes mammals like weasels will sleep in a loft area and come down to hunt at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom