I think this might be a boy, but...

mpmb1227

Chirping
Jan 28, 2015
Stanwood, Washington
I'm still fairly new at raising chicks, and I'm having a hard time sexing this chick, born on June 10th. I'm leaning towards boy because the others, which are RIR (this one is half RIR, half bantam of some sort) are not quite this red in the face yet. They are also a couple days older.

It doesn't have a huge comb for the age, but I"m thinking cockerel. If the father was indeed a RIR, the mother had to be a barred something, so the chick is a sex link male.

I think that could definitely still be a hen at this point. If I were you I would wait another month to know for sure and consider maybe reposting a picture. This is what my ONE month cockerels usually look like...

I would say you definitely still have a chance at a hen.
1f601.png

Re-read the first post and I'm not sure why I thought the Red was the father
hmm.png

I'm revising and thinking possibly pullet. Again, not so much comb for a 2 month old cockerel.

Can we get a profile shot? Darker red shading on the wings is a male trait, and I can't see it's coloring from the pics.

Here are some pictures of some of my cockerels when they were 7 weeks old also...

And almost all of these cockerels are mixed bred except for the top two in this post. I would say your little one is looking like a pullet so far. Things to look for would be comb and wattle development before 12 weeks of age, pointed saddle, hackle, and sickle ( back, shoulder, and tail ) feathers coming in and significant thickening of the legs with spur development. If none of these things happen ans it stays with a small comb like that, I'd say you've get a beautiful little girl!
1f60a.png

I can post a profile shot later, thanks for all the input! I didn't want to eat/get rid of it because it was the only one from the moms clutch that hatched, the other three I bought and snuck them under her in the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom