I think we have Cocci

I feel for you!
sad.png
I just lost all my favorites (2 silikes and a EE) to Cocci. You are lucky though cause more people replied to your thread than mine, so you will be able to get them taken care of faster.

Marie. I got some chicks from a swap that developed it inside even without wet shavings. My vet suggested 3 days sulmet, 2 days off, then 3 days sulmet again. It does reoccur. She emphasized getting the electrolyte vitamin booster for their water as the medication is tough on vitamin b or d. Cannot remember which. It is managable.

I am so sorry for your losses. You shouldn't lose anymore now that you know what is going on. At least I hope that is the case. Keep us posted.
hugs.gif

I'm curious about this cocci. I read on one post where chickens can recover well if they have a healthy immune system.

I just noticed a moderate amount of blood in some stool on top of the waterer in my chicks pen. The stool looked like it had been there a couple of days, it did not appear runny. These 22 chicks are 6 wks. old, have never had vaccines or medicated feed. They are very large, fat and healthy acting, have been freeranging with my big flock for approx. 2 wks. now.

I put vinegar in their water and I haven't had any healthy problems to date. They are all eating well and drinking well, no evidence of any other symptoms at this time.

Could this be cocci? Wouldn't they have other symptoms if it were? Is it possible that their immune systems will fight this off without the use of antibiotics. I would like to try to do without medicines and let nature eliminate the weaker birds in order to have a stronger flock.

So far, I've not had any illness in my large flock or the younger ones. They don't have any bedding of any kind in their pens, just wood flooring, lots of ventilation, so any stool dries and is raked out. Not much stool winds up in the coops at all, so it was just chance that I got to observe these samples, as they were deposited on the waterer.

What do you think....do we have cocci? If so, can they fight this naturally?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom